PDA

View Full Version : Why would my lighting family do this?

jcoe
2008-08-11, 03:17 PM
I created a pendent light fixture and much to my surprise, when I loaded into my project it was upside down. Any ideas as to what I might have done wrong. Everything seemed to work correctly in the Family Editor, but for some reason it wants to host to the ceiling upside down (see image)

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-11, 03:19 PM
Jason-

Can you post the family for me to peek at?

(btw... tell Deborah i said hello :) )

mthurnauer
2008-08-11, 03:47 PM
I have seen this happen and it is related to how the object is hosted. Did you place it by picking a workplane or by hosting it on a face? This happens more often when you place it hosted by workplane. You should be able to flip the light.

mwiggins121466
2008-08-11, 04:51 PM
If you think your family is working as designed, is the ceiling a GYP ceiling? If so I think there is a problem with the ceiling. It thinks the face is the top of the ceiling. If that is the case can you let me know I think there is a bug.

See here http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=84033&page=2

jcoe
2008-08-11, 05:18 PM
Afer doing some reading and research, I belive this is a bug in the software. The fixture was origianally created in the Family Editor using the Basic Ceiling:Generic. When applied to a compound ceiling, the fixture seems to reverse itself. However, when I changed the ceiling in the family to a compound ceiling, I got the expected results in my project. I am not sure why this would behave this way, but this is what I have discovered.

Thanks for all the help.

BigBadBIM
2008-08-11, 08:31 PM
If you think your family is working as designed, is the ceiling a GYP ceiling? If so I think there is a problem with the ceiling. It thinks the face is the top of the ceiling. If that is the case can you let me know I think there is a bug.

See here http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=84033&page=2

It's actually the "generic" ceiling that causes the problem. Seems that this is a known issue and is being worked on by ADSK.

The same thing happens if you host a fixture to a workplane. I don't think that the behavior when hosting to a plane is seen as an issue though ( I could be wrong.) Seems like an issue to me. Wouldn't it be nice to have a parameter that is part of the reference plane that says which face is the "normal?"