PDA

View Full Version : tagging multiple window units

k.nichols
2008-08-11, 04:31 PM
I am working on a residence with numerous units made of multiple windows (for example, operable casement with fixed transom above).

I'd like to schedule with one window tag for each unit that is made of multiple windows, as they would be built and installed.

Because I have brought each window in as a separate family component, revit is scheduling each window with its own tag (one tag for casement, one for fixed transom in the example above).

Any thoughts?

Do I need to create new families with multiple windows in each?

Thanks!

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-11, 06:49 PM
You can do it a few ways.

If you want it to schedule as "one" window with "one" tag, i would nest the individual windows in to a Family that has the entire window assembled.

Now, i havent tried this with windows in a regular Window template, but heres what i found making a bay window using this technique: Because there was no System Family "Wall" out in the bay, i couldnt use hosted (standard window) families in the "overall" family. Im not sure if this will affect you or not, as ive never tried nesting a window in to another stock window family.

So what i did, was make "loose" window families out og Generic Models, make them shared, and switch their catagory to Window under FC&P. This way, if i wanted to tag or schedule the individuals, i could... But if i wanted to tag/quantify/cost the entire entity, i could do that as well...

iru69
2008-08-11, 06:51 PM
Great question - unfortunately I'm not aware of a great answer.

What we do is load the windows into an empty window family, and arrange them as desired, set the overall width & height for scheduling, and then load that into the project. Major PITA for us.

Anyone else have a better work-flow?

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-11, 07:21 PM
Our workflow works pretty well. Actually, just to make constraining easier on the people who arent family building asvvy, i usually recommend making standard window families out of a Nested "loose" family in to a hosted family anyway. So some of the time we have the loose families already built. Nest a few parameter values, and youre all set...

Scott Womack
2008-08-11, 07:29 PM
I am working on a residence with numerous units made of multiple windows (for example, operable casement with fixed transom above).

I'd like to schedule with one window tag for each unit that is made of multiple windows, as they would be built and installed.

Because I have brought each window in as a separate family component, revit is scheduling each window with its own tag (one tag for casement, one for fixed transom in the example above).

Do I need to create new families with multiple windows in each?

Making a window family with the various "sub" windows in it would be the best course. For now, The Fixed transom is a different family. Go into that family, and in the "Type comments for each type, Type some word, even transom would work. Then you can filter the windows, excluding any unit that has a value of "Transom" in its type comments.

k.nichols
2008-08-11, 09:06 PM
thanks! I'll try out your methods. Maybe a candidate for the wish list...a tag that you can assign multiple windows to in the project...?

Scott Womack
2008-08-12, 09:59 AM
thanks! I'll try out your methods. Maybe a candidate for the wish list...a tag that you can assign multiple windows to in the project...?

Personally, I don't want a tag that can have multiple items attached to it. You can already do that by creating a tag that reads the Type Mark instead of the instanced Mark number. Besides, that would promote a greater degree of sloppy family creation.

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-12, 12:34 PM
Personally, I don't want a tag that can have multiple items attached to it. You can already do that by creating a tag that reads the Type Mark instead of the instanced Mark number. Besides, that would promote a greater degree of sloppy family creation.

Agreed. Especially since you can achieve it already, through shared and nested families. Tag the assembly OR tag each window...