PDA

View Full Version : Copy Schedules Between Projects?

thredge
2008-08-11, 07:26 PM
Is there a way to copy a schedule you have set up with all the parameters and all in the right order and formated from project to project? I know we can duplicate it in a template file to start with, but that doesn't help us for projects that were started with the wrong template or started before the schedule was set up in the template.

I didn't see a way to do this, a copy paste would be to much to ask I figured.

Scott Womack
2008-08-11, 07:32 PM
Is there a way to copy a schedule you have set up with all the parameters and all in the right order and formated from project to project? I know we can duplicate it in a template file to start with, but that doesn't help us for projects that were started with the wrong template or started before the schedule was set up in the template.

I didn't see a way to do this, a copy paste would be to much to ask I figured.

You should be able to use the File/Insert From File/Views, and pick the project you want to get the schedule from. This should bring across the headers, and I believe the parameters as well. You cannot transfer the information within the body of the schedule

LRaiz
2008-08-11, 07:39 PM
I recall that in the old days copy/paste used to work between projects for sheets that contained schedules.

Scott Womack
2008-08-11, 07:43 PM
I recall that in the old days copy/paste used to work between projects for sheets that contained schedules. Since the body of the schedule is referencing items in a model, that information cannot come across without coping much of the model as well. Yes, if there is only schedule or drafting information on a sheet, it will come in. If there is a keyplan, or other legend on the sheet it cannot be brought in, period.

thredge
2008-08-11, 08:24 PM
WOOOOOOOOT! oops, sorry, that is my other BBS excitement kicking in, but I think it is relevant here.

That is exactly what I was looking for Scott. Worked like a dream. I hadn't used this feature yet, but will be playing around with it in the future to see what else I can drag around between projects. As you correctly surmised, I only needed the schedule setup, not all the items scheduled, because the new project has it's own items to schedule.

Thanks, I'm glad every once in a while Revit has the feature I'm looking for.

luigi
2008-08-11, 08:56 PM
Just to be clear, "insert from file - views" works, and works well...but as Leonid pointed out(Co Founder of Revit), you can copy/paste a schedule from a sheet of Project A to a sheet of Project B.

Inserting from file and "copy/paste", won't bring in modeling information (as it shouldn't)...it will bring in just the setup of the schedule...the schedule will then look at your particular model to populate it.

Back in the day, all we had is a copy and paste...so this process is and has been available.

a copy paste would be to much to ask I figured.

Scott Womack
2008-08-12, 10:03 AM
WOOOOOOOOT! oops, sorry, that is my other BBS excitement kicking in, but I think it is relevant here.

That is exactly what I was looking for Scott. Worked like a dream. I hadn't used this feature yet, but will be playing around with it in the future to see what else I can drag around between projects. As you correctly surmised, I only needed the schedule setup, not all the items scheduled, because the new project has it's own items to schedule.

Thanks, I'm glad every once in a while Revit has the feature I'm looking for.

The Insert Views from File works with Drafting Views and schedules. Details, Section, and Legends contain model elements and possibly parts of the model. Therefore they do not come in via this method.

I do wish there was a better way to get legends from one project to another, besides a copy/paste from one project to another within the same session of Revit.

thredge
2008-08-12, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I have found that wierd too. We use legends to make finish keys and other things that don't even use objects from within the model, and copy and pasting the items from the old legend into a newly made legend in the new project seems a little broken, but at least we can do it.