PDA

View Full Version : Material Visibility Control Problem

Stoll
2008-08-11, 10:42 PM
I am having a difficult time trying to get a material to display how I want it to across the various plans and details in my project. Here is my scenario and what I have done to try to address the problem.

I want my tilt-up concrete walls to show a grey solid fill pattern in plan while showing a concrete pattern in section. My biggest problem with this is that I have many different tilt-up wall types that have exterior finishes and interior furring built in to the wall assembly. This means I can't override graphics in section or plan without changing the pattern for the entire wall assembly. I also can't turn the detail level down to coarse on the floor plans and apply the coarse scale fill pattern in the wall type properties as it affects the entire assembly as well. I've tried creating a custom pattern but as far as I can tell it won't allow you to overlap 2 patterns and there are no options I have found that would allow you to show a pattern one way in plan and another way in section.

The only options I can think of to do are:

1.) Leave the material as a solid grey fill and manually place a concrete filled region overtop of the tilt-up on all the details. not only is this somewhat time consuming but I would have to adjust these regions anytime a wall shifted.

2.) Rearrange all of my wall types so that the tilt-up walls were stand alone walls. I could then override them in plan or section at will without affecting the interior/exterior finishes. Not only would this complicate the tagging of my walls and change the way we typically lay out our assemblies at our office but it would also require me to draw 3 times the number of walls in alot of cases.

Neither option is all that exciting me but I'm leaning towards option 1 at the moment. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

STHRevit
2008-08-12, 05:26 AM
We use a variation on Type 2,

Our plans are typically set to coarse with the main wall (tilt panel) set to solid grey.
The sectioins are then set to Medium scale and the concrete hatch is visible, rather than a solid grey hatch.

We like to keep our "core walls" and finshes separate. You do end up having more walls in the project,but with the pick tool to "draw" a wall, it takes no time at all. Certainly quicker than drawing filled regions over the top of your walls.
Once you have placed your finish wall (ie plasterbaord on furring channels) you can then join this wall to your tilt panel and all of your openings will cut both walls.

This also gives you the flexibility to hide the finish walls in your plan view so you can easily dimension and set out the structure, but still having all of your finishes for larger scale callouts and sectioins.

Hope this makes sense.

Scott Womack
2008-08-12, 09:47 AM
The only options I can think of to do are:

1.) Leave the material as a solid grey fill and manually place a concrete filled region overtop of the tilt-up on all the details. not only is this somewhat time consuming but I would have to adjust these regions anytime a wall shifted.

2.) Rearrange all of my wall types so that the tilt-up walls were stand alone walls. I could then override them in plan or section at will without affecting the interior/exterior finishes. Not only would this complicate the tagging of my walls and change the way we typically lay out our assemblies at our office but it would also require me to draw 3 times the number of walls in alot of cases.

Neither option is all that exciting me but I'm leaning towards option 1 at the moment. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

The other option, is to build a parameter into your wall styles, or use the "Type Comments" parameter, then use the View Filters, using the Type Comments as a filtering field, then play with the Filter to change the appearance.

Also, use the Detail Component Lined Based Family, to create a component that gets placed in section with selecting a beginning point and and ending point. It will make placeing the material in section much faster.