PDA

View Full Version : yes/no type of parameter...

ekhozindar
2008-08-14, 03:56 PM
2 questions actually.

1) when i create a parameter, it asks me to group said parameter to a predefined category that revit gives, am i able to edit or create a new category?

2) (and alil more confusing) lets say i have a yes/no parameter i wanted to create for my room finish schedule, but instead of using checkmarks for yes/no, i wanted to use filled circles, or whatever arbitrary object to instead of checks. can i do that?

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-14, 04:02 PM
Someone jump in here if im off base...

I believe the answers are no, and no...

ekhozindar
2008-08-14, 04:14 PM
le sigh...

Steve Mintz
2008-08-15, 01:52 AM
'twice' is correct about the first question.

And mostly correct about the second.

You can create a text parameter controlled by the Yes/No. Anything on from the Windows Character map can be placed in the parameter.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-08-15, 02:15 AM
That's a great tip I'll have to pass on.
Thanks Steve :beer:

Kbosch.184344
2008-08-15, 12:58 PM

You can create a text parameter controlled by the Yes/No. Anything on from the Windows Character map can be placed in the parameter.

Where and how can you ad the formula.. On that picture you're editing in the family types. I have no clue how you get there.

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-15, 02:11 PM

WOAH. I never would have even thought to go down that road. Simply awesome!

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-15, 02:19 PM
Can you only do this for family parameters? I cant seem to paste fromt he windows character map in a Text calculated value...

EDIT: Dont mind me, im having a blonde moment...

Kbosch.184344
2008-08-15, 02:43 PM
I assume you forgot the quotation marks

Do you have to make a shared parameter or something?

tomnewsom
2008-08-15, 03:40 PM
Where and how can you ad the formula.. On that picture you're editing in the family types. I have no clue how you get there.
You have to edit the Family.

Kbosch.184344
2008-08-15, 04:14 PM
You have to edit the Family.

Yeah that's what I thought, but where do I put the formula. I have made a door schedule and added the Yes/no parameter via the schedule properties and then I'm stuck.
I'm still a beginner so it's probably very obvious.

On the picture that I've added, you can see the Parameter YES/NO which is the yes/ no parameter, but where do I put the formula?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-08-15, 04:40 PM
.. On that picture you're editing in the family types. I have no clue how you get there.

You answered your own question. When in the family editor click on the Family Types command on the design bar. From here you'll see the formula field.

iru69
2008-08-15, 04:44 PM
You need to create an additional parameter, a "text" parameter.

Then for the formula, you'd type:
if(Hello,"x","o")

if Hello is checked, your new text parameter will display "x". If Hello is un-checked, your new text parameter will display "o".

You can substitute whatever character you want for the "x" and "o".

I've attached an example.

However, if you embed these in an external family, such as a door family, and you want to use them in a schedule, then they have to be "shared parameters" which opens up a whole new can of worms. I try to avoid shared parameters whenever I can.

For schedules, I typically create the parameters as project parameters or directly within the schedule fields themselves.

On the picture that I've added, you can see the Parameter Hello which is the yes/ no parameter, but where do I put the formula?

Kbosch.184344
2008-08-16, 10:20 AM
You answered your own question. When in the family editor click on the Family Types command on the design bar. From here you'll see the formula field.
I was at first trying this on rooms, but I figured that rooms are not families so I started trying this on a door schedule.

Text..
Thanks for the example...I think I understand things better now. One thing remains though....I thought that with the yes/no parameter you could change the vissibility of the elements in your drawing. So when Hello1 is unchecked for a wall I would expect it to disappear in the drawing, but this doesn't happen.

iru69
2008-08-16, 04:43 PM
You can do that only for families. If your wall is created as an in-place wall family, you can control its visibility with a yes/no parameter. I don't believe you can do that with a "regular" wall since there's no visibility parameter to link it to.

However you can control visibility with filters. So, in your example, you would create a yes/no project parameter named "Hello1", and then you would create a filter using the "Hello1" parameter for the walls category and in relevant views, add the filter. See attached example.

One thing remains though....I thought that with the yes/no parameter you could change the vissibility of the elements in your drawing. So when Hello1 is unchecked for a wall I would expect it to disappear in the drawing, but this doesn't happen.

Kbosch.184344
2008-08-18, 09:46 AM
You can do that only for families. If your wall is created as an in-place wall family, you can control its visibility with a yes/no parameter. I don't believe you can do that with a "regular" wall since there's no visibility parameter to link it to.

However you can control visibility with filters. So, in your example, you would create a yes/no project parameter named "Hello1", and then you would create a filter using the "Hello1" parameter for the walls category and in relevant views, add the filter. See attached example. What you did in the attachement is exactly what I want. I don't understand how you did it though...not even with a family like a door.

When I open a door in the family editor and add a parameter for the visability, I can't seem to find a way to get that same parameter I created in the doorfamily to becomme visible in my doorschedule.

At first I was making a yes/no parameter in my doorschedule, but nothing happend so after your post I figured that it needs to be linked with that door. Then I created the yes/no parameter in the family itself and then the Yes/no parameter worked. Now I only can't seem to get it in my schedule.

Thanks for your help.

Kbosch.184344
2008-08-18, 01:30 PM
Don't bother..I found out that you have to use a shared parameter. Now I understand how to work with them aswell..

Anyway thanks :beer:

ekhozindar
2008-09-05, 08:39 PM
i was parusing the forums out of boredom and found out my post had livened up since the last time i checked it. im happy to see at least one of my questions are possible. thanks steve very helpful.