PDA

View Full Version : Question about family making

speedfreak5150
2008-08-17, 10:08 AM
How do i add materials and colours to the new family ive created?

aggockel50321
2008-08-17, 12:07 PM
One way:

Add a material parameter to each extrusion in you family, using a different parameter name for each material you'd like in your family, i.e. table top, table legs.

Then, when you load your family into a project, open it's property dialog, select the parameter, and in the drop down menu, assign a material from the project materials library to each parameter.

speedfreak5150
2008-08-19, 07:45 PM
I cant find the materials library could any1 help

patricks
2008-08-19, 08:08 PM
In order to assign a material in your project to a family placed in that project, you must do the following in the family editor:

1. select 1 or more pieces of geometry in the family (as many that will get assigned the same material).
2. click on the Properties button for those selected items.
3. Click on the button with the = sign at the far right end of the "Material" field for that item(s).
4. Select a material parameter from the list, or create a new material parameter if needed. When creating a new one, make sure it is located in the Materials/Finishes grouping. Make the parameter either instance or type, based on how you want to be able to control finishes of individual instances or different types of the family.
5. Hit OK, then save and load the family.

Now when you go to that family instance's properties in the project, you can select a material that is in your project for that family.

chodosh
2008-08-19, 08:11 PM
[edit] See patricks more elaborate explanation and ignore mine, I wasn't fast enough to the button...

Once you have created and assigned the Material parameters, when editing your Family Types, you can get to the Material library and assign/create the materials you need by clicking inside the value input field and then clicking on that so-very-not-obvious little button with "..." in it that will pop up. Also, to edit the library itself further, go to Settings > Materials.

HTH,

LC