PDA

View Full Version : Temp Levels Showing in Elevation

Archimac
2004-09-22, 06:08 PM
How do I get rid of these levels which are showing in elevation but are not in the project navigator list in Levels? They are not clickable. I don't know where they came from. I started with the residential template, I think.

Thanks

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-22, 06:48 PM
You need to contact Revit support and upload the file to them to fix.

This seems to occur when you cut and paste "something". When you do, Revit creates a temporary level to host the object until it is pasted. Something happening in the time between copy and paste causes the level, usually the object too, to be left behind, thus the ghosts. We have had this recur on one project three times. Each time Revit support was able to remove the rogue, floor and level in our case.

Revit development thought they beat this issue in last builds of 6.0 and certainly 6.1. Our project is in 6.1 so we shouldn't be able to do this, but it was upgraded from 6.0. Maybe we have this in common?

If you can isolate what else is on that temp level...usually turning everything off will leave it visible and figure out what or how you accomplished it, that would go a long way to help the Revit team figure out what is causing it. We'll thank you too...since we haven't isolated the issue yet either.

Chad Smith
2004-09-22, 09:31 PM
I've only just been through this issue with my support consultants and here is the official reply from Autodesk.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1. If you are working in a Worksets file, make all worksets editable.

2. Create a copy of the "Level Head - Circle" Annotation symbol from the Project browser

3. Create a new Elevation view (to ensure all of the levels are visible)

4. Open the new elevation view

5. Select one of the levels

6. Select "Properties" > "Edit/New"

7. Duplicate the Level Type to make a new level type

8. Assign the new level head that you created in step 2 to this new Level type

9. Select all the level heads you can in the new elevation view (you will NOT be able to select the Temp Levels in this view)

10. Change all of their types to the new level type created in step 7 (now the Temp Levels are isolated by the fact that they are a different level type using a different level head).

11. Back in the project browser, right pick on the original level head that you duplicated in step 2 and select "Select all Instances" -> only the Temp Levels should be selected at this time

12. YOU MAY NOW DELETE THE TEMP LEVELS
-----------------------------------------------------------

Note: That I had to go through my entire project and make sure each object was on the correct level. Some of my objects didn't have a level displayed in the level parameter, so I guess they may have been on a temp level and got deleted when the temp levels were deleted.

Ed: I have added this to the Known Issues & Work-Arounds forum.

beegee
2004-09-22, 09:37 PM
Now thats what I call " a work-around ." ;-)

Archimac
2004-09-23, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the help but I have just sketched detail lines over the level lines that I want to show and used the text tool to label the levels. Then I turn off the levels in elevation. It is too much deal withl since my trial is about over.

Just a note for the future: I found the default level text overly large and messy with it's overlapping behavior. It's hard to understand why is is this way and so hard to change.

It will be interesting to see how much the basic UI usability improves in version 7. I'll check back in December.

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-23, 01:39 PM
...It is too much deal withl since my trial is about over......makes sense if you're just doing a demo for now...

...I found the default level text overly large and messy with it's overlapping behavior. It's hard to understand why is is this way and so hard to change...It shouldn't have been hard to change. Open the level head family, modify the text size, reload the family in the project. You could make new in about a minute.

...improves in version 7. I'll check back in December.... If what another post claims is true...you could be back sooner??

Scott D Davis
2004-09-23, 04:12 PM
Just a note for the future: I found the default level text overly large and messy with it's overlapping behavior. It's hard to understand why is is this way and so hard to change.
You do know that you can very easily drag the level heads to new positions when they overlap? Grab the handle point and stretch the head to wherever you want. An angled line will connect the level head to the level line.