PDA

View Full Version : New Drive Problems

dsw98
2008-08-18, 02:46 PM
Our Tech guy instaled a new hard drive that is our central drive. He also copied over all the old files from the old drive to the new one. Now however when we try to save to central we get an error message that says this file is read only and is protected. We've tried changing all the folder so they aren't read only but they are still protected. The only solution I can find at this point is detaching from central and creating a new file. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-18, 03:27 PM
After installing a new hard drive and moving the central file to there, I would create new local files anyways, even if I had no error messages when trying to save...

Andre Carvalho

dsw98
2008-08-18, 04:03 PM
After installing a new hard drive and moving the central file to there, I would create new local files anyways, even if I had no error messages when trying to save...

Andre Carvalho

When our tech guy swapped the new drive he created the same path so Revit techically wouldn't know the central drive changed. So saving to central isn't a problem. I think when the old files were copied over to the new drive they have some how become write protected. However that is the problem we are having. Even creating new local files from the files on the our new central drive become write protected. The only way around it is to detach from central.

chodosh
2008-08-18, 04:30 PM
I would suggest checking the threat protection software on your new drive. See this thread for more similar issues and solutions: http://www.forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=70339

HTH,
LC

ron.sanpedro
2008-08-18, 05:02 PM
I would suggest checking the threat protection software on your new drive. See this thread for more similar issues and solutions: http://www.forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=70339

HTH,
LC

And it may be worth just checking the permissions on the new drive, folders, etc. It could very well be that the folder, or the whole drive, is currently Read Only for all non-admins or something similar. Please don't ask how I know that this could happen. ;)

Gordon

dsw98
2008-08-18, 05:30 PM
And it may be worth just checking the permissions on the new drive, folders, etc. It could very well be that the folder, or the whole drive, is currently Read Only for all non-admins or something similar. Please don't ask how I know that this could happen. ;)

Gordon

Not sure how to do that myself so i'll have our Tech guy do that. I've been just trying to change folder's Read-Only check box, but that's not working. I'll uncheck it, it does it's thing but then I go right back there and it's check again. I think Revit has become self-aware...ha ha ha.

chodosh
2008-08-18, 08:36 PM
Yep, your IT team can review the permissions for groups of personnel, which would be an advance setting overriding your use of the "read only" settings on the folder in the folder properties. It could be as simple as the same users being part of two user groups with conflicting permissions. Like Gordon said, please don't ask me how I might know any of that.

Good luck!

-LC

PS
I'll readily admit I often find myself often personifying Revit (it's tired, cranky, self-aware, confused...), welcome to the club.