PDA

View Full Version : Use of 3D images in Construction Documents

dc.109967
2008-08-20, 03:37 PM
Hey all,

Given the amazing capability of BIM products like Revit, I found myself asking, how can I utilize the already done 3D model in my construction documents?

Surely, it's silly to not take advantage of it and only keep on producing flat, 2D drawings. Of course, the basics of any CD set are always required (for plan check, etc).

How are you all using Revit's 3D model to enhance your CD's? Are you adding a sectional 3D of a detail just to make things a little clearer? Are you calling out room finishes on a 3D image instead of a typical schedule? Are you showing framing in 3D or structural? or HVAC?

Very curious about this.

Regards

mitch.cornelius
2008-08-20, 05:39 PM
I'm hoping we get to the point where BIMs become part of the Contract Documents. As of right now, any model we receive from a design team is "for reference only"...

I've seen several contractors building models and extracting detailed shop drawings for their subcontractors from them, complete with 3D views. A good example is http://bimx.blogspot.com/2008/08/spooling.html

riff.masteroff
2008-08-20, 05:40 PM
Not a problem . . . simply change the contractual "language" to allow for a more appropriate use of a BIM (s). Try googling "Consensus DOCs 301 or AGC and BIM.

http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2008/08/18/focus1.html

Riff Masteroff

mitch.cornelius
2008-08-20, 05:41 PM
I've read through the BIM Addendum and it's great. Our biggest hangup is helping the design team feel comfortable with the process.

chodosh
2008-08-20, 05:42 PM
Answer: D, all of the above.

Yes, using the 3D model is intensely powerful for CD's, and not just as prettty renderings or images to show scenes. They can be very useful to explain systems, details, geometries, etc.

-LC

ray salmon
2008-08-20, 06:58 PM
yes, we put perspective views into our CDs

such as:

cover sheet: views of the building that will be most common

interior elevations: like kitchens, or where the 2d is too illusive

framing: a 3d view can give you a much more comprehensive understanding of the frame.

also, more and more, perspective views on construction details...
they really love that ..... its a piece of art...

we, do have the ussual 2d with all this ... but the 3d is where the eyeballs go...

most feedback we get is..... do more of it.... please...

ray

hand471037
2008-08-21, 04:00 AM
I've always put 3D views in my CD's.

For example, I'll draw up a wall section all nice and normal and typical with keynotes and such. Then, right next to it, on the same sheet I'll put a 3D axon cutaway view of the same condition with a big fat note under it that states FOR REFERENCE ONLY NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION SEE SECTION BLAH BLAH BLAH.

The contractors love it, for they get a clear easy to understand view of the construction, and the liability folks love it for I've still got the 'normal' 2D typical elevation that they are 'supposed' to look at. And both are off the same model, so it's not a lot of extra work. It's totally saved me in a few situations too when the contractor saw something I didn't and points it out on the 3D views. And honestly, Ray is dead on: that's the view they are going to reference whenever talking about it with anyone...

So you don't need to get as fancy as getting the contractor to use your Revit model (although that would be cool) or doing what we do (feeding the model straight to a CNC machine) to leverage that model in what you're doing.

Mike Sealander
2008-08-21, 11:33 AM
We're using 3-d for structural systems on residential projects, and for a lot of architectural detailing on commercial projects. I've been pushing for lots and lots of schedules, since it's helpful in reviewing estimates.
We still have resistance in our office from staff that grew up drawing with a pencil or AutoCAD that question the legitimacy of relying on software. Interestingly, this happens more with quantities on take-offs than on the veracity of 3-d drawings. I think there is a sense that a schedule is harder for Revit to generate than an axonometric is.