PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Level Names

Fatboy
2008-08-20, 07:29 PM
Is there a way to create duplicate level names in 2008 without having to overlay a text block to cover the tag name? I'm trying to add elevation tags the our elevation sheet for informational purposes only and I have multiple "Stone Band" heights that I want to call out, yet stay away from "Stone Band 1", "Stone Band 2", etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-20, 08:07 PM
Why don't you use spot elevations? (Drafting > Spot Dimensions > Spot elevation)

Andre Carvalho

aaronrumple
2008-08-20, 08:53 PM
Is there a way to create duplicate level names in 2008 without having to overlay a text block to cover the tag name? I'm trying to add elevation tags the our elevation sheet for informational purposes only and I have multiple "Stone Band" heights that I want to call out, yet stay away from "Stone Band 1", "Stone Band 2", etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Avoid using levels to control details like this. You'll drive yourself nuts. Andre is right - use a spot elevation. Levels should be reserved for major floor levels and maybe top of wall on simple buildings.

francisco.alvarado
2008-12-22, 09:59 PM
I've been searching and still haven't found a way to name the spot elevation. In my wall sections I want to add TOP OF PARAPET to the spot elevations so that it looks like a LEVEL marker. See attached jpg. Any suggestions.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-12-22, 10:42 PM
You will have to create a generic annotation family and nest that into your spot elevation family.

Scott Womack
2008-12-23, 11:32 AM
I've been searching and still haven't found a way to name the spot elevation. In my wall sections I want to add TOP OF PARAPET to the spot elevations so that it looks like a LEVEL marker.

Duplicate the Spot elevation making a new type. In that Type, there is a parameter called "Elevation Indicator" (Type parameter), if you supply text to this, all spot elevations created with this type will have that text. There is also an instance parameter called Single/Upper Value Prefix, or Single/Upper Suffix for you to suplly the occassional text to the Spot elevation.

francisco.alvarado
2008-12-23, 01:34 PM
Thanks! I tried the nested generic annotation family and when I loaded it to the project that that parameter doesn't show up in the dialog box. Then I tried what Scott recommended but that only puts the text before or after the spot elevation.

Thanks anyway!!! I've been reader of many posts and now I have finally actually posted.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-12-23, 04:58 PM
Duplicate the Spot elevation making a new type. In that Type, there is a parameter called "Elevation Indicator" (Type parameter), if you supply text to this, all spot elevations created with this type will have that text. There is also an instance parameter called Single/Upper Value Prefix, or Single/Upper Suffix for you to suplly the occassional text to the Spot elevation.

Obviously way easier this way. i was not aware you could do that. Thanks Scott. :beer:

fernandez
2008-12-30, 01:56 AM
The prefix/suffix solution is great but I would also like to place text above the line with elevation below. I have only been able to add static text, tried adding an annotation label into my spot elevation tag and linked the label parameter to a new parameter in my section tag family, but it remains non-editable when loaded into my project. Is there any way to place a dynamic label into a spot elevation family? Why is it I can add a label to an annotation like a section tag head but not a spot elevation?

Thanks.

kingjosiah
2009-02-05, 04:29 AM
I agree that using a spot elevation beats the additional overhead of unnecessary levels.....but I'm having difficulties with the leader associated with said spot elevation.

It's not a problem getting the spot elevation symbol to match the level head. I'm not even bothered with adding a text string for the "T.O. PARAPET", although it would be nice to include that level of control in the native family.

What troubles me is not being able to 1) control the leader line pattern or 2) being able to graphically drag the leader end off of the target as you can a level marker. Is there a way to control this?

- Jon

Scott Womack
2009-02-05, 12:40 PM
It's not a problem getting the spot elevation symbol to match the level head. I'm not even bothered with adding a text string for the "T.O. PARAPET", although it would be nice to include that level of control in the native family.

IF you duplicate the Type of Spot elevation, in the Type properties, "Elevation Indicator", you can add text that will always appear. If you have a masonry parapet, you can add TOP OF MASN, and it will appear on all spot elevations of that type.

What troubles me is not being able to 1) control the leader line pattern or 2) being able to graphically drag the leader end off of the target as you can a level marker. Is there a way to control this?

No, you cannot control the leaderline pattern, but you can control its lineweight and color. I'm not sure what you mean by "graphically drag the leader end off the target"

francisco.alvarado
2009-02-05, 01:03 PM
IF you duplicate the Type of Spot elevation, in the Type properties, "Elevation Indicator", you can add text that will always appear. If you have a masonry parapet, you can add TOP OF MASN, and it will appear on all spot elevations of that type.

you are right but I couldn't get the text to be above or below the spot elevation value. The properties only limit it to prefix or suffix which will put the text in the same line as the spot elevation value. Am I missing something?

Scott Womack
2009-02-05, 01:53 PM
No, you are not. Spot elevations are system families, so you are very limited.