PDA

View Full Version : where does "Load into projects" go

ray salmon
2008-08-20, 08:04 PM
when I download rfa from sites I always choose "open" then I can see it
but when I choose "load into projects" it can be hard to find in browser under families .... what determines where it will be listed...

ray

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-20, 08:10 PM
Usually, while in the family file go to Settings > Family Category and Parameters and you can have an idea of where it will be listed.

Andre Carvalho

ray salmon
2008-08-20, 08:34 PM
ok that helped......

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-08-21, 07:59 AM
Take a look at the status line in the bottom right corner of your Revit window. It will list the properties of the selected object going from the general to the specific.
The object category is where it will be listed in the browser.

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-21, 01:33 PM
Take a look at the status line in the bottom right corner of your Revit window. It will list the properties of the selected object going from the general to the specific.
The object category is where it will be listed in the browser.

I think what he wants to know is how to find where the family is once loaded into the project. It is not the first time I heard people who are learning Revit, loading families and not being able to find on which category the family is, to be able use it in the project. The most common I've seen is when people download a door from Internet and go to the Door menu and can't find it there. Opening the family and looking at the Family Category and Parameters will show them that the door they downloaded is actually a curtain panel (curtain wall door) and therefore only can be found on the list of curtain panels... And if they can't find the family to place, they can't read the status line.

What could be done, as another suggestion, is try to locate the family under the project browser (+) Families, drag it and drop into the project. Revit will let you add it without accessing the main function, if possible. I said "if possible" because in my example above (curtain panels) you couldn't do that because curtain panels aren't an element that you can just "insert". It has to be replaced by another...

Andre Carvalho

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-08-21, 04:51 PM
That's the point I was making Andre. If you highlight the object and look at the status line you will see which object category it belongs to. Once you see which object category it belongs to you can go to the browser under families and scroll to that object category.

ray salmon
2008-08-21, 07:24 PM
wait are all on the same screen

i tried down loading a simpson BCS from RevitCity in "open" mode.
however when i highlighted it only says

"Import in families: import symbol: location not shared"

this is from the rfa screen...

the only place i can find where it will go into the familes is under
Family Category and Parmeters form where it reads "detail items"

actaully it would be nice to have family called "the simpsons"
sorry there is already one on TV....

Ray

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-21, 08:29 PM
wait are all on the same screen

i tried down loading a simpson BCS from RevitCity in "open" mode.
however when i highlighted it only says

"Import in families: import symbol: location not shared"

this is from the rfa screen...

the only place i can find where it will go into the familes is under
Family Category and Parmeters form where it reads "detail items"

actaully it would be nice to have family called "the simpsons"
sorry there is already one on TV....

Ray

That's because you brought a detail component family. This is just a 2D family. Note that even the 3D icon is grayed out.

It says "Import in families: import symbol: location not shared" because you are editing the family.

To use detail components, you have to load them to your project, go to Drafting > Detail components.

Andre Carvalho

ray salmon
2008-08-21, 08:49 PM
drafting is not an menu option in rfa file
just hit the "load into project" at the bottom of the menu

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-22, 12:39 AM
To use detail components, you have to load them to your project, go to Drafting > Detail components.

Andre Carvalho

Andre Carvalho