PDA

View Full Version : Views VG and scale

3dway
2008-08-20, 08:32 PM
I would like to show the same view on multiple sheets at different scales and with different VG settings.

The two major categories of sheets are Working Drawings and Design sheets.

Design sheets need to be produced at 11x17 and at larger sizes. Our design sheets have the walls filled in with a pattern and the working drawings do not.

Because I've been having a horrible time getting used to plotting to scale in Revit, I've started a new strategy: I only plot sheets. Therefore I need sheets for many different scales.

So this keeps adding up when it comes to counting views. For one floor plan:
Design, 11x17 titleblock, walls filled, 1/8" = 1'-0"
Design, 24"x36" titleblock, walls filled, 3/16" = 1'0"
Working Drawing, 24" x 36" titlblock, walls not filled 3/16" = 1'-0"

Every time a variable changes I need a new view or a new sheet.

As far as I can tell, scale and VG settings are view dependant. I would like to be able to place one view on multiple sheets, and have the text be annotative scale, and control the VG settings by sheet. I have not been able to do this.

Please help?

lhanyok
2008-08-20, 08:50 PM
Check out View Templates. You can set visibility/graphics settings and apply it to multiple views. As far as text goes, it will always scale with the drawing - if you set it to 3/32", when printed it will be 3/32" whether the view is at 1/8" scale or 1/16" scale.

aaronrumple
2008-08-20, 08:50 PM
What you want is the old AutoCAD way of working. Layer Control.

With Revit you have one view per sheet. If you want to print your plan at 4 different scales. You duplicate the plan 4 times. Then each view has its own setting and annotation. All the model elements are coordinated between all the views. You just manage the detail like tags or no tags. What dimensions etc...

I have a small single story building in from of me right now. It has 12 plan views.

I set 'em - and forget 'em.

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-20, 09:33 PM
What the other Aaron said. :)

Basically, IMHO youre best bet will be start with the full size and plot at reduced scale, IF the text notes are that important to you.

They wont update across the duplicated views. You can use detail groups, but the text wont change scale so you would have to pick an amicable text size for the smallest drawing...

3dway
2008-08-21, 03:21 PM
12 views seems like a lot to manage. You have to name them in a way that you know what it shows, which sheet it's on, etc., and make sure that each view's "title on sheet" feild is set. Then you have each of these views on a sheet in the project browser. If I "set em and forget em", I have 12 entries in the top of my project browser just taking up space.

In our training they suggested that we make a working view. So I have a working view. A view set up as I want is on a sheet and a sheet with the view on it.

My brain was much more maliable 12 years ago when I learned AutoCAD.

I think my problem here is that I have many items to manage, and I don't yet have a full understanding of what they do and what needs to be managed and what can be forgotten about and trusted to the software. On top of that I have no faith in how the software is set to manage things; coming for very bad experience with wall joins.

Maybe my problem is with the inflexible printing method. I need to print things at different scales on different size sheets during design and I don't want to set up sheets for these and create new views for these when I don't know if they'll be kept for final sheet layouts. I'm just printing for the boss to sketch over maybe. I need to be able to pick a window in my working view and say print this at 3/16 and show me what it's going to look like before I print it so I can decide if I need to change the paper size or the scale.

patricks
2008-08-21, 04:01 PM
hmm I have always found drawing scale to be SOOOO much more intuitive than in AutoCAD. The scale listed is the scale it prints, period (assuming you're printing at 100%). There is no fiddling with view scales and sheet scales and print scales and blah blah blah.

While it may or may not be best practice, we don't really use separate working views too much. We usually work in the views that will be on the sheets. If I need to print out part of a plan, I might just set it to print Visible Portion Of Current View, zoom in to the area I need, and print that off on 8.5x11 or 11x17. Other times the scale doesn't really matter, and I just want to see the whole 24x36 sheet fit on an 11x17 sheet, so I'll print scaled to fit.

Then other times I might print at 50% or 200% if I need it exactly half-sized or double-sized for whatever reason.

But I don't really understand what your trouble is with printing views to scale. If you have a drawing at 1/8" scale on an 11x17 sheet, and you print the sheet (zoomed to 100%), then the sheet comes out with the view at 1/8" scale. But likewise, if you print only that view zoomed to 100%, it's still going to come out at 1/8" scale. Perhaps you were accidentally printing views set to Zoom Scaled To Fit?

aaronrumple
2008-08-21, 07:31 PM
12 views seems like a lot to manage. You have to name them in a way that you know what it shows, which sheet it's on, etc., and make sure that each view's "title on sheet" feild is set. Then you have each of these views on a sheet in the project browser. If I "set em and forget em", I have 12 entries in the top of my project browser just taking up space.

Not really. Each view is a different task. One view might show area calc. Another might show a presentation drawing with shadows. If I don't want to see some of the views in the browser - I can filter the browser list.

In our training they suggested that we make a working view. So I have a working view. A view set up as I want is on a sheet and a sheet with the view on it.

Having a working view is good. A lot of offices have one working view for each user. It allows them to not bump into others changing view settings.

Maybe my problem is with the inflexible printing method. I need to print things at different scales on different size sheets during design and I don't want to set up sheets for these and create new views for these when I don't know if they'll be kept for final sheet layouts.

It is still a good idea as it is simpler to just delete the unwanted stuff later than keep making changes.

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-21, 08:27 PM
Working views are HUGELY necessary, in my opinion. When people are tweaking models and drawings and editing complex things, they like to hide stuff, put drafting lines to mark stuff, change view ranges, turn off surface patterns,shut off catagories, etc.

Working views are great for that, plus you dont run in to people both trying to edit stuff in the same view and have Editing requests all day.

Finding someone tweaking a view setting in a project here, when that view isnt their working view, is a good reason to sound off on said person... hehehehehe

patricks
2008-08-22, 02:24 PM
Yeah I can see how that is helpful, especially in larger offices with more people working on projects. We only have 3 Revit users here, and most of us work alone in our own projects, except when a project is larger and we might need some help from another person, or I may get our interior designer to do interior stuff on my project, or I might help her with wall sections on her project, etc.

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-22, 03:34 PM
We usually have 3-5 people in a project at any give time... But people put dimensions down to move stuff or check stuff, and switch views and forget, etc...

So i try to enforce the Working View thing at all times... Weve got working 3D views and working FP's, working RCP's, lol...