PDA

View Full Version : Tapered roof beams

t1.shep
2008-08-21, 09:00 PM
Anybody have any experience in creating tapered roof beams? Say I have a 24" structural roof beam that I want to taper down to 6" from the bearing wall to the fascia. How do I do this?
Is there a way to make fascia or soffits cut as voids? Or do I just need to do a void mass? I'd prefer not to have to make a custom beam family so that I can make rapid changes to the overhang and span. But if it comes to that I'll have to figure that out.

Along these lines, what do most people do for their roof elements in regards to the roof structure layer? Typically we have some sort of beam structure, but if you make a structural layer in the roof element you see that thickness everywhere. This is especially noticeable on the elevations and 3d views where you see the structural thickness on the fascias.
Are there people out there that make multiple roof types so that portions of the roof that are constructed with outriggers are a different type and you combine these with the other roof types? Or do most people just forgo the structural layer and use beam systems or beam arrays so that they appear accurate?

davidcobi
2008-08-21, 09:21 PM
We use a structural roof that sits on the bearing wall and ends there
We then use a finish roof that rests on top of the structural roof and extends out over the eave.
We then model raftertails under the eaves.