PDA

View Full Version : Monolithic Stair

Jun Austria
2008-08-23, 01:22 AM
I have encountered a problem with my monolithic stair with a "Stepped" Underside of winder. The problem is, its not stepped. I have checked the documentation and other third party reference. Cant seem to find any detailed description on this. Where did I go wrong?

tc3dcad60731
2008-08-23, 01:43 AM
I am trying to figure this out too! I am on RAC2009 and I noticed last night that no matter what I did the monolithic showed up as smooth even in a new sessions. (outside of the file that I was working on)

dlpdi5b
2008-08-23, 06:57 PM
The trick here is that it is just WINDER type treads that will be stepped on the underside of the stair. Winders are created when you have riser lines that are not parallel to the adjacent riser lines.

dbaldacchino
2008-08-23, 09:41 PM
To get a stepped look on the underside, uncheck Monolithic and then set your thread thickness to be, say, 1'-0" and set the Left & Right Stringers to None.

Oddly enough a couple of weeks ago I saw some monolithic stairs in a project that would step and not go smooth. Couldn't figure out what was causing the issue.

Jun Austria
2008-08-23, 11:47 PM
To get a stepped look on the underside, uncheck Monolithic and then set your thread thickness to be, say, 1'-0" and set the Left & Right Stringers to None.

Oddly enough a couple of weeks ago I saw some monolithic stairs in a project that would step and not go smooth. Couldn't figure out what was causing the issue.

Wow. 1 foot is too thick. But this is not the case as shown in figure 5.13 page 137 of Mastering Revit Architecture 2008. The sample shows a Spiral Staircase with a 6" thick Monolithic Stepped Stair. No Stringers. Anybody got RAC 2008 to double check this?

I found out this problem when my office mate asked me how does my "stepped" stair looks like in Revit Ceiling Plan compared to Archicad. When I tried to make the stair first,
to my imbarassment. I cannot create the monolithic stepped stair.

I'm sure this is a broken feature. WU2 please.

dbaldacchino
2008-08-24, 12:28 AM
a) the 1'-0" suggestion was just an example;
b) it is not broken. The spiral example is a winder, which can be specified as stepped in the type properties. See my attached example fresh from 2009 WU1 with a 6" landing overlap. If you have straight runs, the only way to do a stepped "monolithic" stair is as described in my post above. Unfortunately you cannot have landing (thread) overlaps with that technique.

Jun Austria
2008-08-24, 01:01 AM
a) the 1'-0" suggestion was just an example;
b) it is not broken. The spiral example is a winder, which can be specified as stepped in the type properties. See my attached example fresh from 2009 WU1 with a 6" landing overlap. If you have straight runs, the only way to do a stepped "monolithic" stair is as described in my post above. Unfortunately you cannot have landing (thread) overlaps with that technique.

Stair A as per advised (Thanks Dave). Stair B both monolithic set to "stepped" but drawn straight and arched.

I just dont get it, why the Straight run doesnt behave like the Arched run.

dbaldacchino
2008-08-24, 02:47 AM
The option is just for winders. I don't knnow why either. I have to dig up the example when it wouldn't go smooth and see if I can figure out why.

dbaldacchino
2008-08-24, 04:00 AM
I figured why Revit is stepping the steps in the example I mentioned...it's thinking they're landings/winders!! I have no clue how the user came up with this stair; I can't reproduce it. The center line is still there but is not connected to anything. In fact if you try to set the base offset to zero, the stair breaks. Now if you can figure out a way to fool Revit into thinking you're drawing winders/landings, you'll be able to step them and give them a landing overlap value. See attached.

Jun Austria
2008-08-24, 04:33 AM
I figured why Revit is stepping the steps in the example I mentioned...it's thinking they're landings/winders!! I have no clue how the user came up with this stair; I can't reproduce it. The center line is still there but is not connected to anything. In fact if you try to set the base offset to zero, the stair breaks. Now if you can figure out a way to fool Revit into thinking you're drawing winders/landings, you'll be able to step them and give them a landing overlap value. See attached.

Thanks Dave. I think I will do more study on the stair.

tc3dcad60731
2008-08-26, 03:59 AM
Outstanding thread. I will have to look into this more myself. Right now I am working on custom railing for another site.

bgroff
2009-01-16, 11:59 PM
Has anyone found a solution to this stepped monolithic issue? Once you set the tread depth beyond the riser height it automatically takes away the slant. Also you cannot create a stepped monolithic stair unless it is curved. Has anyone found a solution to this?

dbaldacchino
2009-01-17, 03:59 AM
Please don't start posting nonsense. Let's keep this professional and useful to users.

Andre Carvalho
2009-01-17, 11:29 PM
Regards knurrebusk----- >

Bingo! I knew it!
Who else could write such things... :screwy:

Andre Carvalho