PDA

View Full Version : Linked File won't display...

FWSchreck
2008-08-25, 06:48 PM
Hello:

We have a project in which a linked Revit model (the exterior shell) will not display. All project worksets are turned on, Revit reports the linked file as loaded, and there are no overrides in place. Zooming to extents does not reveal a file accidentally moved elsewhere.

Has anyone experienced this? Any workarounds, short of removing and relinking the file?

Scott Womack
2008-08-25, 06:59 PM
Hello:

We have a project in which a linked Revit model (the exterior shell) will not display. All project worksets are turned on, Revit reports the linked file as loaded, and there are no overrides in place. Zooming to extents does not reveal a file accidentally moved elsewhere.

Has anyone experienced this? Any workarounds, short of removing and relinking the file?

You have have already done so, but has someone hidden it in one or more views?

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-25, 07:59 PM
Zooming to extents does not reveal a file accidentally moved elsewhere.

Even zooming extents in a 3D view? (assuming there's no crop region or section boxes enabled).

Andre Carvalho

FWSchreck
2008-08-25, 08:15 PM
Scott, Andre:

1. The linked project may possibly be hidden in one or two views, but not in all views
2. I did a "zoom extents" in a 3D view, but the linked file did not show up.

I also tried, in Visibility Graphics, to use a linked view to show the model, but that isn't working either.

FWSchreck
2008-08-25, 08:22 PM
All:

I ended up resolving the problem by removing the linked project completely from the project, then linking it back in. Unfortunately, for all existing views, the visibility settings for the linked project were lost.

chodosh
2008-08-25, 09:25 PM
I've seen this once or twice. I tried something once to keep from having to do what you did (which is terrible, I'm sorry, I know, I've been there) and it worked. I'm digging in my memory here to re-trace my steps, so I hope I didn't miss anything, but here's what I remember working through:

In the project browser, I right-clicked on the Linked Revit file, and selected to Copy to Clipboard the link. Went to a plan view and went to Paste. When it gave me the error "Can't Complete... Linked Files have the same name," I expanded the warning and got the ID number for the mystery file that couldnt' be found.

Next, I created a new workset with a new name for the linked file, then searched for the ID number. With the file selected, still not knowing where it was, I moved it to the new workset after making it editable. On the same workset, I drew model lines on top of two grids in my file, at an intersection in one of the corners. I then isolated that workset by closing everything else and went back to my 3D View, duplicated it, applied the OOTB Architectural Presentation 3D View Template to the new copy of my 3D view. I selected the model lines and hid the category for lines in VG, then zoomed extents. Boom, there was the missing model. Turned lines back on, zoomed extents again, and both were dots on the screen.

It turned out the link was waaaaaayyyyyy out in space, it had been kicked by a DWG in the file that made it's coordinate system three hundred miles larger than the file I was working in. I was able to grab it and move it back to align to the model lines I had left behind and pinned it in place.

HTH,

LC