PDA

View Full Version : Perspective to Ortho 3D to Perspective

Scott D Davis
2008-08-26, 12:33 AM
So you are working on a perspective view, but you need to make a change that requires a 3D ortho view rather than a perspective.

Use the view cube to re-orient your perspective view to an ortho 3d. Work on the objects that you need to work on. When finished, use the Rewind function of the Steering Wheel to rewind your ortho 3D to the original perspective. The changes you made remain as its only a view rewind, not an "undo".

I just discovered this when trying to adjust the 3D Section box for a perspective view. I was attempting to adjust the 3D Section box in perspective, and it wasn't very clear where my section box was in space. I re-oriented to an ortho 3D view using the cube, adjusted my section box, and then used Rewind to get my perspective back.

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-26, 02:57 AM
Hi Scott,

I just tried that but the view oriented from the top still shows as a perspective view from the top and not fully ortho... Did you get it working truly in a 3D ortho mode?

Anyway, this is a nice trick you found, especially when trying to adjust the clip cube.

Andre Carvalho

Scott D Davis
2008-08-26, 03:24 AM
Yes, I got it to work as an ortho 3D when clicking on the upper corner of the cube. I didn't try a top view or any other setting. It's rendering now, but will try a top view later when its done.

clog boy
2008-08-26, 12:32 PM
Yes, I got it to work as an ortho 3D when clicking on the upper corner of the cube. I didn't try a top view or any other setting. It's rendering now, but will try a top view later when its done.

Good suggestion. I found myself struggling with something similar two weeks ago.

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-26, 01:00 PM
The computer I'm using right now has Revit 2009 (the IT still haven't installed WU1). I tried different ways but still could,'t get it to work in true 3D ortho. One thing I notice though (and would like someone to confirm this, please) is if you are in a perspective view, using the steering wheel, right click on it, select Orient to a plane and select, let's say, Name: Level 1, it will take f...o...r...e...v...e...r to regenerate the image, even if the file has just two walls drawn in it.

And still shows as a perspective from the top...

Andre Carvalho

dbaldacchino
2008-08-26, 04:53 PM
Wow you had me for a moment....I was thinking "hmmm, finally a great use for the view cube!". But as Andre observed, it's just changing the perspective view. What were you drinking Scott? :D

Scott D Davis
2008-08-27, 12:51 PM
I may have jumped the gun....I got really excited because it worked, or seemed to. I adjusted the section box, which does work. I then deleted some items from the scene and that worked. What I was too quick to notice is that true manupulation did not work....I couldn't move stuff around. Sorry 'bout that!

But, what does come out of this is an easy way to manipulate Section Boxes for 3D perspective views. This is really important for rendering with mental ray. If you are rendering an interior of just a room or space, you should be cropping out the rest of the model using a section box.

dbaldacchino
2008-08-27, 02:38 PM
Thats' cool Scott, at least it didn't make the Cadalyst Tips & Tools Weekly ;)

mthurnauer
2008-08-27, 09:17 PM
I find it easier to adjust the section box by having a plan view open and right-clicking on a view in the project browser and selecting Show Section Box. You can then manipulate it.

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-28, 01:50 AM
I find it easier to adjust the section box by having a plan view open and right-clicking on a view in the project browser and selecting Show Section Box. You can then manipulate it.

What Scott mentioned in his post, is an easier way to adjust the section box in a perspective view. I don't think we can do that by following the steps you described...

EDIT: Sorry mthurnauer. Now that Luigi explained it step by step (see below), I can see what you meant. Thanks!

Andre Carvalho

luigi
2008-08-28, 01:56 AM
Actually you can. There are 2 ways...

A. If you select the box in your perspective and then open a plan view (or elevation/section) then you can manipulate the section box in the orthogonal view

B. If you have the floor plan (or elevation/section) open, right mouse click the perspective view and show section box

What Scott mentioned in his post, is an easier way to adjust the section box in a perspective view. I don't think we can do that by following the steps you described...

Andre Carvalho

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-28, 02:54 AM
Thanks for letting me know Luigi. That's even better than trying to play with the view cube...

Andre Carvalho

jeffh
2008-08-28, 12:24 PM
A. If you select the box in your perspective and then open a plan view (or elevation/section) then you can manipulate the section box in the orthogonal view

This is how adjusting the section box is shown in the 2009 tutorials.

luigi
2008-08-28, 02:31 PM
Another tip, since we are on the topic, is that once the section box is selected, you can actually "copy" that box up/down in elevation (to maybe make construction views) and this will duplicate the view with the new section box.

Thanks for letting me know Luigi. That's even better than trying to play with the view cube...

Andre Carvalho

dbaldacchino
2008-08-28, 03:25 PM
Ahhh nice one Luigi! Wasn't aware of that. Moderators, PLEASE move this to the Tips & Tricks forum.

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-28, 03:37 PM
Another tip, since we are on the topic, is that once the section box is selected, you can actually "copy" that box up/down in elevation (to maybe make construction views) and this will duplicate the view with the new section box.

Wow! We can copy it in elevation, or in plan, or in any 3D view! Great tip Luigi. :beer:

Andre Carvalho