PDA

View Full Version : When to rhino and when not to rhino

spashed
2008-08-26, 08:50 PM
Hi,

I am currently working on a tower project in revit2008 that is elliptical in plan with lofted curved surfaces.
I have modelled this in rhino and imported into a revit family so i can wall by face it.

What i am interested to know about is other peoples experiences with inserting windows, walls, floors etc...in relation to a imported nurbs surface.
Is it wise to work with a curved surface that is as generic as possible or is it wiser to actually model holes for windows, seperate surfaces relative to floor levels etc..

I have attached a file that shows the intended form with some surfaces split at floor levels and some not.
Hope that its clear

cheers

AP23
2008-08-27, 11:58 AM
This might help http://designreform.net/2008/07/17/rhino-autocad-revit-linking-complex-form-to-drive-massing/

spashed
2008-09-01, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the link,

Previously i have been importing the geometry in from 3dsmax into rhino then saving as a sat file (as max can't do this) for importing into a revit family.
I have switched to modelling solely in rhino and am now finding once i have imported the sat file into revit i cannot apply any walls by face.
I just get an error window stating 'can't make face wall shape'.

Anyone had a similar problem with importing from Rhino?

thanks

AP23
2008-09-01, 08:10 AM
There are different reason for this:
1.Walls can’t be applied on horizontal faces.
2.Walls can’t be applied when the double curved mass are to tight.
3.Walls can’t be applied if the wall type is to thick on a tight curve

If you’re modeling solely in Rhino, why are you using Revit?

spashed
2008-09-01, 08:23 PM
Hi thanks for the reply,

I'm modeling in revit as well as rhino as all of our documentation is done in revit for this project...
It just happens to be easier to model these curved forms in rhino than revit. Plus the rest of the project is pretty stright forward for revit to deal with.

After talking to someone on the rhino forum they had had a similar problem with revit not being able to cope with complex meshes.
What i find strange though is that an almost identical form that was generated out of 3dsmax and passed to revit via rhino to generate an importable format worked fine...yet when built straight in rhino and loaded into revit it fails to be able to apply any walls by face.

cheers

calum

freddeket
2009-03-12, 07:25 PM
Hi, I am having the same problem here...

Rhino is great for modeling and Revit is perfect for drawing plans with sections and everything.

I have a very complex form (horizontal as vertical) and I cannot make walls too!

Is there a command in Rhino to remove all the "mistakes" for Revit?

The attachment was - like that amazing tutorial said - made in Rhino, exported to Autocad and then imported in Revit...

Can anyone help?

Thanks