PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep elements joined?

AP23
2008-08-28, 12:56 PM
What are rules of joining geometry in a family? I would expect Revit to be able to join all solids when they intersect or when there faces touch. But apparently not all solids can join and I haven’t been able to figure out why. So when are solids able to join and when not?

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-28, 01:07 PM
When I have problems trying to join solids, one of the first things I do is to check for edges that are slightly touching each other or exactly at the same location. When I find it, I try to extend the solids a little inside each other (they will be joined anyways) and try joining again.

Andre Carvalho

aaronrumple
2008-08-28, 01:12 PM
What are rules of joining geometry in a family? I would expect Revit to be able to join all solids when they intersect or when there faces touch. But apparently not all solids can join and I haven’t been able to figure out why. So when are solids able to join and when not?

You can't join two solids if solid a is based on the edges in solid b and joining them would eliminate the edges used to create solid a. Also if the solids don't overlap enough to resolve the geometry there can be issues. I get this mostly with curved sweeps.

From the look of the sketch - the jamb should be longer. But it's hard to say without knowing how it was built.

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-28, 01:27 PM
You can't join two solids if solid a is based on the edges in solid b and joining them would eliminate the edges used to create solid a. Also if the solids don't overlap enough to resolve the geometry there can be issues. I get this mostly with curved sweeps.

From the look of the sketch - the jamb should be longer. But it's hard to say without knowing how it was built.

Damn.... good to know, LOL...

I occasionally get that error, usually with complex casework. And ive always just assumed its a fluke with things that *look* like theyre alligned but arent perfectly, and in most cases ive left it as is, LOL...

savethedave875535
2010-05-31, 01:38 AM
When I have problems trying to join solids, one of the first things I do is to check for edges that are slightly touching each other or exactly at the same location. When I find it, I try to extend the solids a little inside each other (they will be joined anyways) and try joining again.

Andre Carvalho

Just in case anyone else comes across this problem, this is the solution that worked for me. I had two voids sharing two faces and the solution to making them both cut a solid was to make them overlap.

[My first AUGI post! You guys have been so helpful the last two months, nice to start giving someting back.]