PDA

View Full Version : Columns and Wall Joining/cutting....AGAIN.

gbenjamin.arch
2008-08-28, 04:50 PM
I just posted this as a reply in another thread (but it was in the Revit Structure Forum...and I am using Architecture)

Morning guys and gals

I am a long time lurker – and usually don’t contribute because most of the issues that I have had has been solved by many of the other regular posters on this forum….except for this one.

I am having a similar issue with structural columns, architectural columns, and wall finishes not joining properly. I would think that STRUCTURAL columns overrides EVERYTHING, but I have found out that this is not always the case. I thought I was going around making this model correctly – as the way it would be built….Structural columns first – then walls – the architectural columns to finish. For some reason…some walls go straight through the columns and I haven’t figured out any logic to why the program does this because this issue is erratic and doesn’t happen everywhere. It almost seems as if the architectural column is overriding the structural somehow.

I have tried changing the wall structural properties all around (from non-bearing…which it is…to structural/shear) just to see what happens and this had no effect on the display. I just got so tired of this issue that I decided to post – since after a lot of forum searching (and I have become good at that) I couldn’t find a solution…or even an issue similar to mine. I posted a few images – Image A shows one of the many renegade columns - Notice that the columns around it wrap the way they should. Image B is just another example.

Thanks in advance

wjspence
2008-08-28, 06:33 PM
I feel your pain. I went through all this myself trying to get the columns to behave like I think they should.

The solution I have come up with is to model the columns in a separate file and link them in. Walls will still go thru them. You will have to stop and start walls, just like in real life, at each column.

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-28, 06:41 PM
Please, read this thread where we are discussing it:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=85742

Andre Carvalho