PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Buildings One Site

brian104662
2008-08-29, 07:48 PM
Hi guys I have a question. I'm currently setting up a plan of attack for a new project consisting of 9 buildings and 5 different building types (6plex etc...) I am figuring on modeling each building in it's own file and link them into the site. Here is my question, would it be a good idea to handle all of the documentation within the site file, or document each building separately within it's own file?

The problem that I foresee with the later is redundant details, in the spirit of Revit I'd rather not draft all of the wall sections etc... While the problem with documenting within the site file may be large file size / slow computer syndrome.

Any feedback is appreciated I'll continue to scour the board for insight. Thanks!

nsinha73
2008-08-29, 08:23 PM
Hi,
We specialize in Schools and campuses where multiple buildings in one site is required. We have found it much easier to lay all models on a single View, then make duplicates and tighten the 'crop Region' to specific buildings.
Then you will have 1 View port showing all Buildings laid around in the site. and Individual view ports showing certain Buildings only.
You may come across few 'give and takes' but we have found this to be working great for us.
One tip is to Make sure you have turned of unnecessary Categories off to spare some resources for Revit. Make 'View Templates' this will help a lot.
File Size, Revit handles it pretty well.

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-29, 08:57 PM
Im assuming its going to be one set of documents? If so:

Build them all in seperate files, and use linked views for wall sections/elevations/plans. Then you only need one documentation model, and everything is in one file.

If theyre seperate drawing packages, i would document them all in their own models, and use Save to File and Load views to get the standard details around the different models...

davidcobi
2008-08-30, 12:10 AM
Looks like Linked views for sections and elevations are new in 2009. While split sections can be selected it doesn't look like sections in the host file take on the split section view or am I missing something?

EDIT: Got it. I'm getting VG Display Settings confused with Reference Other View...

brian104662
2008-09-01, 03:36 AM
Yes it the project will be one set of documents. Thank you guys for the responses I completely forgot about the linked view options.

Scott Womack
2008-09-02, 11:16 AM
Yes it the project will be one set of documents. Thank you guys for the responses I completely forgot about the linked view options.

The other issue to look out for when using linked views, is that the symbols/marks on a view to reference section marks, elevations, and callouts do not come through from the linked files. In other words, any reference to another view within the link will not come through from the linked file.

twiceroadsfool
2008-09-02, 01:19 PM
That shouldnt be an issue though, as you will need the view in both the linked file, and the documentation file, so that you have a view to select *by linked view* in. Just make sure that all of your "typica' Reference Other View tags are in the main model...

brian104662
2008-09-02, 02:26 PM
Ok just to make sure I get this correct =)

I have a model for each building, within that model I detail specific building componants. When I place these models on to the site file, which will also be the documentation file, I cut sections and place callouts in the same places that I did when detailing the buildings. I then go to visiibility and graphics and select by link and select the relivent detail/section. I tried this with an existing project and things workd well, Thank you for the help guys!

twiceroadsfool
2008-09-02, 02:59 PM
Yup, thats the gist of it. Just beware of a few things:

If you have "BLDG" linked in to "SITE", for reference you may also have SITE linked in to BLDG. If thats the case, dont dimension anything to a reference on "SITE" while youre int he Bldg file, or itll disappear when you go back in to SITE. (Unless the link is set to attachment...).

For that reason, you may want the grids/levels to be copy monitored in to the BLDG files... That way theyre all coordinated, and you have things you can dim to in the indiv. BLDG files...

nsinha73
2008-09-02, 04:56 PM
Do please Correct me if I am wrong. This linked view that you guys work in, are they are Individual Models in Individual files?
If so, then Do you Tag Doors and windows in the source file or the Documentation File.
As I remember, we were having hard time making these linked Models to behave, regarding Cutting Sections, Tagging, wall cleanups and so on.
Is this linking is a better approach to Multiple buildings in separate files? I may think so as to keep the files smaller. But then again,....How does linking affect 'Work sharing'?

Thanks guys

twiceroadsfool
2008-09-02, 04:58 PM
You tag them in what youre calling the *source file.* Then, in the documentation view, you go to VG and set the Link to "By Linked View" and the tags and annotations show up.

Linking doesnt really affect worksharing... Each file can still be a central, and users can still create local files and work in all of the links and STC in all of them...

davidcobi
2008-09-12, 11:40 PM
Two things about Linking and Worksharing:

First, they work very well together. You can link 10 buildings into an "empty" project file, put each building on it's own workset and open selective worksets the next time you open the "empty" project. This way you are only loading the buildings you need to work on today saving precious resources.

Second, you can use VG Worksets to control the visibility of a workset in the building model and the "empty" project file will still honor the VG settings of the linked in building when using "By Linked View" (even if there are no worksets in the "empty" project file).