PDA

View Full Version : Phasing creating problems with underlay

hdjohnson
2004-09-23, 09:39 PM
I'm doing a remodel project and when I get to the Roof Framing plan I notice that there are lines missing (see attached). I have the wall set to Existing and the Door or Window is set to New Construction. If I set the wall to New Construction then everything shows up fine. How do I solve this problem....It's driving me crazy!

beegee
2004-09-23, 09:52 PM
If the roof framing is New, set the view to "New Construction " with the phase filter to "Show Complete"

If you have existing framing, place it from another view ( Roof Framing Exist ) , then demo any framing pieces in the New Construction view.

I think that will show what you want.

hdjohnson
2004-09-23, 10:19 PM
beegee,

I'm sorry, I should've made a comment that the roof framing is new and I've set the Phase to New Construction and the Phase Filter to Show Complete in my previous post. The problem is that I can't seem to get the new door and window jambs to show up correctly in the existing walls.

If I set the filter to Show all, then the door and window jambs are displayed correctly; however, so is the demolished walls.

Any suggestions
?

beegee
2004-09-23, 10:36 PM
Could this be because the detail level is set to coarse and the door and window families are set to not show the jambs at that detail level. ?

The phase view setup ( New Construction with Show Complete filter ) should be displaying what you want to see.

hdjohnson
2004-09-23, 10:57 PM
No, this isn't the case, beegee. I just tried to insert a generic Revit Door (as New Construction) into an existing wall and nothing shows up on the roof framing plan.

beegee
2004-09-24, 12:24 AM
Try checking your View Range settings.

The top window in the image you posted in your first post shows the doors correctly ?

hdjohnson
2004-09-24, 12:44 AM
The top window is the floor plan which shows the location of the doors. The bottom window is the Roof Framing Plan. I posted the image like this to show that the door jambs aren't showing up in the Roof Framing plan. I'll check my View Range Settings...

hdjohnson
2004-09-24, 04:33 PM
Okay, this problem is REALLY weird. If both the wall and the door are the same phase they show up correctly. If they are of different phases, for some reason the door/window doesn't seem to be cutting the wall correctly. I thought it might be the door or window I was using, but I've tried all of the "generic" Revit ones and everything is the same.

I've cut a section throught the building to show what I mean. In the 1st jpeg, the wall is existing, the door is new construction, notice how the door isn't cutting the wall correctly.

The 2nd jpeg, shows both the door and wall as the same phase The door is cutting the wall correctly.

I wish I could just change everything to the same phase; however, I need to have both phases in this project. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I really need some help.

beegee
2004-09-24, 10:28 PM
Can you purge and post the file or just a file with the door and walls for us to look at ?

hdjohnson
2004-09-27, 09:03 PM
beegee,

I was talking with a Revit Tech, and he mentioned the following:

"This is because there is an INFILL being placed into the existing wall when the door is set to new construction, so Revit does not show the end caps its filling in the void. When both are existing (wall and door) it shows the endcaps."

So I guess that's what my problem is.....

beegee
2004-09-27, 09:30 PM
If the view filter is set to show complete in a new view, you should be able to see the door jambs, if thats what you mean.

cmahoney
2004-09-27, 10:24 PM
If I understand correctly, I think this issue is less about phasing than it is about the nature of underlays. When you set a level to be the underlay of a plan view, the underlay is a projected view of the level selected. So in the case of the existing wall and door, you are not seeing the door jamb (or any part of the door) but rather the footprint of the wall on that level. In the case of the existing wall and the new door what you see is both the footprint of the wall and the infill wall created for the purposes of demolition. Because there are no phase filters or other overrides applied to the underlay the wall and the infill wall blend seemlessly together.

hdjohnson
2004-09-27, 10:40 PM
The issue is about the underlay not showing the jamb on the framing plans; however, everything is displayed correctly on the floor plan. Is there a way to apply phase filters to an underlay?

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-27, 10:48 PM
Create another floor plan view showing what you want to see and overlay that view over your floor plan on a sheet. Would that get you where you want to go? "Underlay" isn't really intended for use on sheets, that's my approach anyway...

hdjohnson
2004-09-27, 11:08 PM
Steve,

Sorry, it's been a long day and I think I'm down to one brain cell left. After, I create another floor plan and turn on or off the layers that I need. How do I go about displaying my Roof Framing information? I'm don't understand what you mean by overlaying the view?

beegee
2004-09-28, 12:13 AM
What Steve means is to place the floor plan on a sheet, then place the roof plan over the top of that floor plan on the sheet.

You can then activate the roof plan to work on and still see the floor plan below. ( Its not an underlay in this case though )

hdjohnson
2004-09-28, 07:46 PM
Steve,

Thanks for your earlier response. That's a great way to do framing plans.

Beegee, thanks for clarifying this for me.

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-28, 08:09 PM
...That's a great way to do framing plans...Glad it helped...I gave a more articulate explanation in this THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5877&highlight=framing)