PDA

View Full Version : FlexLM OPTIONS file precedence

dgorsman
2008-09-03, 02:43 PM
We are going to be migrating to NavisWorks 2009.1 soon, and I'm looking at the FlexLM licensing. Right now I have our NW 5.5 floating licenses set up in pools, with each license limited to a certain number of computers to guarantee each of our user groups a minimum number of licenses.

With FlexLM, an options file can be provided to limit by user name, reserve licenses, etc. I'm looking at setting up a GROUP in the options file for our power users to guarantee them a license with the RESERVE option while leaving the rest of the licenses available to everybody. If I do that, when they fire up Review will they pull a license from the reserved ones first or will it get pulled from the open pool?

RobertB
2008-09-04, 12:21 AM
If they are specified in the group, they will get the license from the reservation, not the remaining pool.

dgorsman
2008-09-08, 06:14 PM
Excellent, thank you.

Ferroequine
2008-09-08, 08:01 PM
Doesn't reserving licensing like that effectively kill the floatability of those licenses then? In that case, would it not be more cost effective to purchase standalone licenses for those that always need to have one, instead of paying a premium to allow floating?

RobertB
2008-09-08, 08:06 PM
Doesn't reserving licensing like that effectively kill the floatability of those licenses then? In that case, would it not be more cost effective to purchase standalone licenses for those that always need to have one, instead of paying a premium to allow floating?No. Because you can retask network licenses as needs change, whereas you have to jump thru hoops to switch between standalone and network licenses.

dgorsman
2008-09-08, 10:29 PM
Not necessarily. I want to cover the power users group at a higher level (around 80-90%) than the ordinary users (around 60-75%). And I'm a little fed up with making sure the stand-alone Navis licenses get released from computers when users leave and before IT re-images the computer.

Ferroequine
2008-09-09, 02:41 PM
Can anyone provide a link to additional documentation on FlexLM? I would like to try out the "reservations" grouping.

RobertB
2008-09-09, 03:22 PM
Can anyone provide a link to additional documentation on FlexLM? I would like to try out the "reservations" grouping.All the documentation that I've ever needed was found in the Docs\FlexUser folder under Autodesk's License Manager install folder.

Of course, it was obviously written by some geeky programmers, so mental translation to normal speak is needed.