PDA

View Full Version : ROTATION QUESTION

Davied2
2004-09-24, 12:56 PM
If I want to rotate an item about a certain point I find it quite annoying that having selected the object I very often have to zoom out to find the rotation symbol and the have to move it to my required point of rotation, then zoom back in again.

Is there any quick way or keypresses that can magically make the rotation symbols appear near my current cursor location, therefore it would be closer to my required point of rotation.

Regards

The Welshman

Yman
2004-09-24, 01:59 PM
Not that I know of, but that is a good wishlist. That would be a tough one to program.

Y

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-24, 02:04 PM
Funny how questions often come just after a wish is posted... THIS THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=8549). Add your voice to it...please.

..would be a tough one to program... Good strategy Chris! Challenge'em to do it...Conversation ends something like this: "Yeah...it's probably too hard for you guys to program, oh well, sigh..." :)

Davied2
2004-09-24, 02:14 PM
Damn

I did keyword searches on "Rotate" and "Rotation" and did not see that previous post.

Anyway, I see the answer is no Revit cannot do it yet.

Many Thanks

The Welshman

DaveP
2004-10-07, 06:22 PM
I'm a bit late to the game here, but:
Is there any way to specify - when you CREATE the family - what point it rotates about?
I would think it would use the intersection point of the two original Ref Planes, but it seems to pick something like the centroid.

J. Grouchy
2004-10-07, 06:32 PM
I really don't mind it being where it is...except for when you are zoomed in...then it might be nice to have it on-screen.

...but I bet that would be impossible to program...they could never do it.

;)

DaveP
2004-10-07, 06:43 PM
I really don't mind it being where it is;)

I'm thinking of something like a wall-mounted toilet. I'd like to make the rotation point at the back, against the wall. As it is - in the center of the object - I need to Insert it, and align it. Then, if I need to rotate it later, it spins about it's center and I need to move it back to the wall again.

J. Grouchy
2004-10-07, 07:32 PM
It's really no different than AutoCAD except in some cases it eliminates the step of picking the rotation point when it's not critical to specify any particular point. I don't mind dragging the rotation point since it typically snaps to important spots (i.e. ref planes, end points, etc.).

Maybe a check box for "retain last rotation point" or something might be useful in the case where one would always (or typically) use that particular point on the object around which to rotate.

JohnASB
2004-10-10, 12:45 AM
I think something like: Hold down CTRL key and pick a point to move center of rotation to new point. Should be easy to program ...

Nevine
2004-10-10, 12:22 PM
Actually I really wish rotation worked like in AutoCAD and one can rotate around the insertion point. I found it cumbersome to place a toilet and when I check rotate after placement, I would have to move the rotation point or have to adjust the toilet location. Somehow every family comes in with an unpredictable rotation point. It would be nice when we create a family to determine a set insertion/rotation point while retaining the option to move it if needed

gregcashen
2004-10-10, 06:45 PM
Don't forget that for components that rotate, if you hit the space key before placing it, it will cycle through the various orientations. Obviously, this doesn't help if you have already placed it, but if you are placing a new component, it works much better than rotate after placement (which I NEVER use, as it requires an extra step just to select the check box.)