PDA

View Full Version : Unpredictable Wall/ Floor interaction

Chad Smith
2008-09-10, 01:50 AM
I've come across something a little scary with how walls and floors interact.

In my attached example, I have some core walls which has a floor around the outside of it. The floor sketched is not locked to the outside of the walls. When the walls are dragged, I get unpredictable results with how the floor interacts.

The result that annoys me the most, is the outer boundary of the floor is moving with the wall. I'm now concerned that this can cause dramas with floor boundaries moving unexpectedly on projects.

Jun Austria
2008-09-10, 02:33 AM
I've come across something a little scary with how walls and floors interact.

In my attached example, I have some core walls which has a floor around the outside of it. The floor sketched is not locked to the outside of the walls. When the walls are dragged, I get unpredictable results with how the floor interacts.

The result that annoys me the most, is the outer boundary of the floor is moving with the wall. I'm now concerned that this can cause dramas with floor boundaries moving unexpectedly on projects.

Yep, this annoying if you are talking about high rise building. I tried pinning it, constraining it on a grid. And yet, it still moves.

But I tried this and the floor didnt move.

Using your file, I removed the openning from the slab. and draw a rectangle slightly bigger then the core. Before exitting the editting mode. I move the line on the external side of the core wall.

Then I move one of the core wall and the slab stays. But then again, you will have the floor hanging inside the core.

Jshaver
2008-10-15, 08:46 PM
For what its worth I am having the same problem and have found a relatively simple workaround...
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=89116

mruehr
2008-10-16, 08:12 AM
Use Shaft Openings they are always aligned and this proplem does not exist.
the group solution just takes more resources.

my 2 cent
cheers

Jshaver
2008-10-17, 04:18 PM
" Use Shaft Openings they are always aligned and this proplem does not exist. "

We also strictly use shaft openings but this issue is not limitted to openings but rather any slab edge including the perimeter. Any compound slab edge near walls may become distorted when the walls are shifted.

While I understand Autodesk's intention for this feature I would consider this a problem within the software.

The only solution that avoids rework is to group the slabs. The amount of resources used in a typical job is minimal. You can ungroup them after you make your wall modifications if you are concerned about performance.