PDA

View Full Version : New concept for Multistorey - Floor Plates

Chad Smith
2008-09-10, 03:16 AM
One thing that is a real pain to do are multi-stories. Currently we can model our building, and using Groups we are able to get levels modeled the same. But the downfall is when we need to document the levels.

It is possible (to a certain extent) to copy dims and text up through the levels, but the real pain comes when the multiple levels need to be amended, and then it becomes a tedious process of going through all the levels individually.

I keep thinking on a daily basis of better ways to document the project, and have come to the conclusion that there is no simple answer. So I started thinking about new tools that could be implemented into the software.

What I came up with are Floor Plates.
Simply put they will be a modeled and annotated ‘block’ which can be used multiple times throughout a project but are still flexible and retain the ability to edit directly in the project.

· In the Project Browser under Views you would have a Floor Plates category.
· Each Floor Plate would be like a mini project in your project, and have its own 3D space and an X,Y coordinate system that matched that of the master project space.
· Each Floor Plate would have a default 3D view, and the ability to create elevations and sections for the purpose of modeling only.

Floor Plates
--- Typical Plate 1
-------- Floor Plans
---------------- Floor Plan
---------------- Setout Plan
-------- Elevations
---------------- Elevation 1
---------------- Elevation 2
-------- 3D Views
---------------- {3D}

--- Typical Plate 2
-------- Floor Plans
---------------- Floor Plan
---------------- Setout Plan
-------- Elevations
---------------- Elevation 1
---------------- Elevation 2
-------- 3D Views
---------------- {3D}

· Each Floor Plate would have its own Top and Bottom extents. The Top and Bottom would be used to ‘stretch’ the plate between levels. The Top and Bottom extents would have offset values as well.
· Any Elevations or Sections generated in the Floor Plate view will reside solely within the Floor Plate. i.e. it will not be accessible from any other view or to be put on any sheets
· In the View Properties, via a dialog you would be able to select which levels you would like the plate to be assigned to. Remember the Floor Plates have an X,Y coordinate so they can be placed at the correct location on the levels.
· You then annotate your Floor Plate with text, tags, annotation etc
· The Floor Plan view that is displaying the Floor Plate would have a Floor Plates tab on the Visibility dialogue and give parameters similar to what you would get with the Revit Links.
· You could Exclude objects from the Floor Plate in the Floor Plan view just like you can Groups.
· You would be able to work on the Floor Plate seamlessly within the Floor Plan without the need to ‘Edit’ it. Any changes done to a Floor Plate within a view will update on all other views which reference the same Floor Plate.

Floor Plates would be kind of like a Group, but with more power to work as a complete floor level, which interacts with the levels above and below it.

So, that’s my initial idea for dealing with documentation of multi-storey projects. If you have different ideas or would like to suggest improvements to the above, then it would be great to hear them.

twiceroadsfool
2008-09-10, 04:07 AM
Im not sure how it would differ from using Links or Groups currently.

With groups, i nest detail groups in to them so the documentation follows the Model Group. For plans, enlarged plans, sections, details... As long as you Place Detail before you have to modify the group, it shouldnt be a hassle at all.

Or with links, keeping your annotations and using design options when things need to be different from one level to the next.

Unless there is functionality that im missing, when i read the post. Its late and im tired, its possible...

Chad Smith
2008-09-10, 04:24 AM
I guess I'm trying to get away from the kludge that is Groups. I'm after a way to duplicate entire levels, but in a seamless format. That's not to say that groups cannot be used within Floor Plates.

I find Links an even more painful solution as you have to now work in two separate files.
The key to the Floor Plate concept is being able to define a Top and Bottom constraint to work between levels in the project. This is something that is not currently offered.

If Autodesk can find a way to get a linked file to have a Top and Bottom extent and to be editable directly within the project, that could very well be a simpler alternative.
The end result just has to be a way to duplicate information between levels, which is easily changable and annotatable within the project, and can be locked between levels.

Rick Houle
2008-09-10, 12:15 PM
I like your thinking... something "right there" would make the people happy.

I am looking forward to more Group improvements as Revit develops further.
They're just "not as friendly as xrefs" right now though they have come a long way.

Some people here are avid groupers, group nesters... Some people expect groups to do all the work for them... (which may be possible on a team of ONE)
But it seems the more you rely on elaborate groups the more likely you are to have other issues arise... be them technical or workflow.

I guess i'm just agreeing with the thread that something here would greatly benefit us mid-to-high risers...