PDA

View Full Version : Truss roof generator

mbalsom
2008-09-10, 11:01 AM
Have been beta testing for these guy's with rafter+ plugin for revit and also new TRUSS+
program. Truss+ has really come along way and is due for release towards end of October.
Check-out Truss+ / overview demo videos at http://www.tools4revit.com/ , very clever indeed.
Mark

still.james
2008-09-10, 11:38 AM
looks really good, is there any idea of cost?

mbalsom
2008-09-10, 09:20 PM
Sorry no idea of cost yet. Maybe wait till released or contact through web page.

iankids
2008-09-10, 11:20 PM
These look very neat. Subject to price, I would certainly love these tools.

BTW, do you know if you are able to model different structures for different parts of the same roof. What I am thinking of is a typical house extension where the original house is conventionally framed, and the extension is designed with trusses.

Cheers,

Ian

Joef
2008-09-11, 12:22 AM
I would love these tools to be part of Revit. With the frequent release cycle of Autodesk products I doubt that many developer will be able to keep their plug-ins up to date. This will be an problem every year waiting for the plug ins to be brought in line with the current release.

ray salmon
2008-09-11, 12:29 AM
are trusses generated generic models using the lines as alpha info

r

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-11, 04:14 AM
Hi guys,
What You think about optimal price of this tools for roof framing?

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-11, 04:24 AM
Trusses are generated according type-span-position and other relation parameters.

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-11, 07:59 AM
I would love these tools to be part of Revit. With the frequent release cycle of Autodesk products I doubt that many developer will be able to keep their plug-ins up to date. This will be an problem every year waiting for the plug ins to be brought in line with the current release.

We have a time from alfa to final release of new Revit version. It is about 4 month.

AGA CAD

barathd
2008-09-12, 04:04 AM
Hi guys,
What You think about optimal price of this tools for roof framing?

Hard to tell until one has a chance to try it. Looks promising - however I am also concerned about having to continous upgrade the product. If one will have to continue to pay for upgrades year to year the price should be adjusted accordingly.

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-12, 05:09 AM
Hard to tell until one has a chance to try it. Looks promising - however I am also concerned about having to continous upgrade the product. If one will have to continue to pay for upgrades year to year the price should be adjusted accordingly.

Thanks for message.

barathd
2008-09-13, 01:41 AM
What are the available common truss profiles, heel height adjustments, etc.? What do you think a fair price is?

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-13, 02:24 AM
What are the available common truss profiles, heel height adjustments, etc.? What do you think a fair price is?

This tools for Revit included main common truss types:double fan, triple fan, fink , double fink, triple fink, howe, double howe, triple howe, king post, queen post, modified queen and other. User can easy edit truss family and add to common truss catalog.

Heel height depends from truss top chord height and roof pitch.

We are thinking about 600-800 USD enduser price for USA market.

barathd
2008-09-13, 02:32 AM
This tools for Revit included main common truss types:double fan, triple fan, fink , double fink, triple fink, howe, double howe, triple howe, king post, queen post, modified queen and other. User can easy edit truss family and add to common truss catalog.

What I meant by heel height is - high heel trusses (energy truss). Price seems fair I would be anxious to order as long as upgrades are reaonably priced.

barathd
2008-09-13, 02:33 AM

What I meant by heel height is - high heel trusses (energy truss). Price seems fair I would be anxious to order as long as upgrades are reaonably priced. What is the release schedule?

Thanks

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-13, 03:01 AM
What I meant by heel height is - high heel trusses (energy truss). Price seems fair I would be anxious to order as long as upgrades are reaonably priced. What is the release schedule?

Thanks

Dick Barath

Price for autoframing and auto shop drawing is to big? Udate of Versions , for example from 2009.1 to 2009.2 is free of charge. Upgrade from 2009 to 2010 will be priced about 200 USD (we think).
2009.1 release will be offered in the end of October.

br
Gintaris
AGA cad

barathd
2008-09-13, 04:45 PM
Gintaris:

I have attached a sketch of what is the norm for a high heel truss in Canada - could this heel height be built in as a variable? Sorry can't help myself - why are you programming something so specific to North America in Lithuania? Don't even know how one would go about paying you.

Thank you.

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-13, 07:51 PM
Gintaris:

I have attached a sketch of what is the norm for a high heel truss in Canada - could this heel height be built in as a variable? Sorry can't help myself - why are you programming something so specific to North America in Lithuania? Don't even know how one would go about paying you.

Thank you.

Dick Barath

Hi Dick,

I understood Your height Energy trusses. It is simple way. Create such common, truncated ... trusses , select as current such sytem and we will have such framing.
p.s. Atached picture.
I think we will include such type trusses in setup.

Thank You
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-13, 08:06 PM
Gintaris:

Thank you.

Dick Barath

Wood houses are popular in Europe too, especialy in North EU.

Gintaris

barathd
2008-09-13, 08:27 PM
Hi Gintaris:

Seems too good to be true - can't wait to get my hands on the addon. Is it possible to try the Beta?

Many thanks.

Regards

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-13, 10:35 PM
Hi Gintaris:

Seems too good to be true - can wait to get my hands on the addon. Is it possible to try the Beta?

Many thanks.

Regards

Dick Barath

Now we have alpha version. I shall inform You when will be beta for testing.
I inform You about new demos too. OK?

Gintaris

Gadget Man
2008-09-14, 01:18 AM
Now we have alpha version. I shall inform You when will be beta for testing.
I inform You about new demos too. OK?

Gintaris

I would be extremely interested in a beta testing and then purchasing this add-on too. I specialize in traditional Queenslanders using predominantly truncated trusses (or up-stand trusses, as we call it here). I created my own several truss families but to have this add-on would be great!

barathd
2008-09-14, 03:59 AM
Jerry:

Is this what you are referring to. I would like to see this included as a standard item with a high heel option as well.

Regards

Dick Barath

Gadget Man
2008-09-14, 04:37 AM
Jerry:

Is this what you are referring to. I would like to see this included as a standard item with a high heel option as well.

Regards

Dick Barath

No, this is what we call a "Scissor Truss" - for raked ceiling provision. This type of truss is also very popular. So much so that I don't even imagine it being omitted in the "Truss + " add-on... Nowadays probably some 25-30% of roofs use "Scissor Trusses" in some their part.

What I was referring to is a "Truncated End Truss" or, as we call it an "Upstand Truss" - see picture 1 (as opposed to standard "Truncated Top Trusses" with "cut-off" tops - similar to parallel trusses - see picture 2) .

edit: On your picture is in fact a combination of the "Scissor Truss" with the "Truncated End Truss" (the "Upstand Truss" - as we call it)

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-14, 05:09 AM
No, this is what we call a "Scissor Truss" - for raked ceiling provision. This type of truss is also very popular. So much so that I don't even imagine it being omitted in the "Truss + " add-on... Nowadays probably some 25-30% of roofs use "Scissor Trusses" in some their part.

What I was referring to is a "Truncated End Truss" or, as we call it an "Upstand Truss" - see picture 1 (as opposed to standard "Truncated Top Trusses" with "cut-off" tops - similar to parallel trusses - see picture 2) .

edit: On your picture is in fact a combination of the "Scissor Truss" with the "Truncated End Truss" (the "Upstand Truss" - as we call it)

Hi Jery,

truncated trusses included. They can be without overhang too. It is the same type. Instance parameter Överhang=0.

Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-14, 05:14 AM
Jerry:

Regards

Dick Barath

Hi Dick, I think this type can be used only fo common trusses. Not for truncaated and jack trusses. If so, You can add trusses (Howe, Fan, Fink...) of such type as Coonon trusses. Select as current system for common trusses. Framing tool will automaticaly used such trusses for framing.

Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-14, 07:50 AM
Gintaris:

Thank you.

Dick Barath

Hi Dick,
we have added high heel truss system in our 3D TSG generator.
It was made special for You,

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-09-14, 03:17 PM
Gintaris:

You are a gentlemen - thank you. I wish you the best of luck and success with your addon. From what I see it should be a great success.

Regards

Dick Barath

barathd
2008-09-14, 03:43 PM
Before I am consumed in my enthusiasm - best check - your addon will run in Revit Architecture?

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-14, 04:43 PM
Before I am consumed in my enthusiasm - best check - your addon will run in Revit Architecture?

Thanks Dick,

Yes add on works on top of Revit Arch and Revit Struc

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-15, 01:42 PM

Hi Jery,

we have added Scissor Trusses, but only as common trusses, not for truncated trusses.
I think it is possible but hard to use Scissor truss type for truncated trusses.
Does will be good for You - Scissor common trusses?

br
Gintaris

Gadget Man
2008-09-15, 11:56 PM
Hi Jery,

we have added Scissor Trusses, but only as common trusses, not for truncated trusses.
I think it is possible but hard to use Scissor truss type for truncated trusses.
Does will be good for You - Scissor common trusses?

br
Gintaris

Thank you not only for me, but for all the other users who will appreciate this addition.

Yes, the common scissor truss is the most popular.

In fact, I haven't seen yet in any real work the need for a truncated scissor truss. In such a case one would have to simply increase the height of the wall/ support point directly under such the trusses.

Come to think about it, standard truncated (end) trusses are used only to visually raise the roof base (pitching point) without raising the ceiling (without raising the walls' height), while scissor trusses are used for raking the ceiling (raising it), so they can be elevated to match the top chords of other trusses as needed...

I can't wait to see this add-on :)

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-16, 04:53 AM
Thank you not only for me, but for all the other users who will appreciate this addition.

Yes, the common scissor truss is the most popular.

In fact, I haven't seen yet in any real work the need for a truncated scissor truss. In such a case one would have to simply increase the height of the wall/ support point directly under such the trusses.

Come to think about it, standard truncated (end) trusses are used only to visually raise the roof base (pitching point) without raising the ceiling (without raising the walls' height), while scissor trusses are used for raking the ceiling (raising it), so they can be elevated to match the top chords of other trusses as needed...

I can't wait to see this add-on :)

Thanks Jery,
it comming soon.
I inform about new demos.
First of them will be - Transformations of 3D Truss System Grid - link with roof parameters.

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-18, 09:04 AM
Hi all,

demo about 3D Truss Sytem Grid tansformations and link with roof parameters was added to our web site:
http://www.tools4revit.com
on the page:
http://www.tools4revit.com/truss-plus/overview/

Gintaris

BigBadBIM
2008-09-24, 08:51 PM
Hi all,

demo about 3D Truss Sytem Grid tansformations and link with roof parameters was added to our web site:
http://www.tools4revit.com
on the page:

Gintaris

WOW! If you guys haven't gone to see the videos, you NEED to. Not only is this add-on generating the truss system, but it creates individual elements as well. My favorite video is the "Shop Drawings" Video. It creates Shop Drawings of elements and connections as Drafting views. (That's my understanding anyway.) Hello, Calling all truss manufacturer's that want to hop on the BIM-wagon.

A question though: What does this do to the size of the project file? Could you give us the project file size before creating the system and after?

It seems that you and your team have a great product on your hands.

:mrgreen:

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-26, 05:30 PM
WOW! If you guys haven't gone to see the videos, you NEED to. Not only is this add-on generating the truss system, but it creates individual elements as well. My favorite video is the "Shop Drawings" Video. It creates Shop Drawings of elements and connections as Drafting views. (That's my understanding anyway.) Hello, Calling all truss manufacturer's that want to hop on the BIM-wagon.

A question though: What does this do to the size of the project file? Could you give us the project file size before creating the system and after?

It seems that you and your team have a great product on your hands.

:mrgreen:

Hi lewerim,

Ecxuse me for later answer, I was in airplane (Amsterdam-Chicago) yesterday.
RTV project without trusses (in added pictures) is 10,6 MB. It is our testing file, which included models , grids, testing tools and so on. He included 69 preloaded wood truss families also.
RTV file with generated Trusses is 11,6 MB (last picture). Was generated 87 trusses. 87 takes about 1 MB.

br

Gintaris
AGA CAD

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-26, 05:38 PM
Hi lewerim,

Ecxuse me for later answer, I was in airplane (Amsterdam-Chicago) yesterday.
RTV project without trusses (in added pictures) is 10,6 MB. It is our testing file, which included models , grids, testing tools and so on. He included 69 preloaded wood truss families also.
RTV file with generated Trusses is 11,6 MB (last picture). Was generated 87 trusses. 87 takes about 1 MB.

br

Gintaris
AGA CAD

May be this picture will be better

Gintaris

Elmo
2008-09-30, 07:32 AM
Wow, so far this is looking brilliant! We have been playing with Soft Mark and Rafter plus so far. This is really good and I can't wait to get my hands on Truss plus.

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-09-30, 09:08 PM
Wow, so far this is looking brilliant! We have been playing with Soft Mark and Rafter plus so far. This is really good and I can't wait to get my hands on Truss plus.

Thanks Elmo,

new video demo will be added to our website in the end of this week:
Integrated transformations of hip end trusses and valley sets

br

Gintaris

d.stairmand
2008-10-01, 12:19 PM
Gintaris
Any Estimated Time of Arrival on a Demo for all of us to Try out?

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-01, 01:08 PM
Gintaris
Any Estimated Time of Arrival on a Demo for all of us to Try out?

Hi,

We are planing to begin sell it at the end of October

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-10-01, 08:42 PM
Gintaris:

Will you have a trial version?

Regards

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-01, 10:19 PM
Gintaris:

Will you have a trial version?

Regards

Dick Barath

Not yet Dick,

middle of October

allanerickson
2008-10-02, 02:00 AM
Will the generated trusses have a different web configuration than the truss vendor provides or does the architect/engineer control the location of the members on a typical project? I have used dxf export files from truss vendors to model the trussed when duct was run in attic.

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-02, 02:44 AM
Will the generated trusses have a different web configuration than the truss vendor provides or does the architect/engineer control the location of the members on a typical project? I have used dxf export files from truss vendors to model the trussed when duct was run in attic.

Hi allanerickson,

Trusses are generated in 3D model from Revit database of preloaded Truss Families. Will be more then 80 truss families. User can edit only preloaded truss family , rename according some rules and load to project. Truss Database Manager helps quick create different types for all preloded truss families in the same time.. For example, You have in project trusses of type: Top Chord 90mm, Bot Ch =90 Diag Web 90 and Vert Web 90. You want to create for all families new type with Diag & Vert Webs 75. You need few seconds for this operation.

For new types You must enter min. & max. span parameters manualy if You want autogenerating by min. or max. span. We are afraid that user can forget about these parameters if we will make auto copy procedure.

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-02, 04:10 PM

Hi allanerickson again.

Can You send me some DXF of trusses which geometry depends from position of ducts. We will think about that. It would be nice to get from Autodesk - Revit API with possibilities to edit family .Will be possible to edit geometry on the fly in truss generation process in this case.

br

Gintaris
mail:
gintaris@aga-cad.lt

allanerickson
2008-10-04, 02:45 AM
Hello Gintaris,

Your program is exactly what I'm hoping that truss manufacturers could have. Could a 3D model be exported to autocad? I have never recieved a 3D model from an architect or engineer. We usually just model the "structure" and the "ceiling" above a 2D base sheet and try to squeeze the duct, HVAC piping, plumbing and sprinkler between the two. I've only seen 3 or four coordination drawings from electricians in my 25 years of doing this, so I can't say we coordinate that.
Its always a hastle when we have to route things thru trusses because it takes so long to model them.

It looks like you have a winner.

good luck,

Al

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-04, 03:53 AM
Hello Gintaris,

Your program is exactly what I'm hoping that truss manufacturers could have. Could a 3D model be exported to autocad? I have never recieved a 3D model from an architect or engineer. We usually just model the "structure" and the "ceiling" above a 2D base sheet and try to squeeze the duct, HVAC piping, plumbing and sprinkler between the two. I've only seen 3 or four coordination drawings from electricians in my 25 years of doing this, so I can't say we coordinate that.
Its always a hastle when we have to route things thru trusses because it takes so long to model them.

It looks like you have a winner.

good luck,

Al

Thanks allanerickson,
Yes, 3D model can be very quickly exported to ACIS DWG format. Looks very nice in AutoCAD 2009.

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-06, 06:15 AM
Hi all,

New demo:
Integrated transformations of hip end trusses and valley sets & final roof framing

was added in our web site:

br
Gintaris
AGA CAD

Gadget Man
2008-10-06, 08:57 AM
It does look impressive! Can't wait to have it...

Question: Will there be a possibility to cater for a coffered ceiling? That usually requires to construct trusses with a non-continuous bottom chord .

barathd
2008-10-06, 05:03 PM
Gintaris:

The new video was great. Only thing I didn't see was the transformation of a common truss to a girder truss. Assume that is no problem.

Regards

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-06, 06:53 PM
Gintaris:

The new video was great. Only thing I didn't see was the transformation of a common truss to a girder truss. Assume that is no problem.

Regards

Dick Barath

Hi Dick,
this transformation was first. We don't put any comment. May be we must add comment.
This transformation was in the slides with comments ÄutoSearch..."" - "Focus on types of end jack".

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-10-06, 07:33 PM
Gintaris:

Just assumed you would know what I was getting at. Any way what I should have explained was that where the third gable is - I would normally double up the truss (girder truss) to accept the incoming trusses to joist hangers. I just wanted to know if one could double or reconfigure that particular truss.

Thanks

Dick

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-06, 08:05 PM
Gintaris:

Just assumed you would know what I was getting at. Any way what I should have explained was that where the third gable is - I would normally double up the truss (girder truss) to accept the incoming trusses to joist hangers. I just wanted to know if one could double or reconfigure that particular truss.

Thanks

Dick

Yes Dick, it is possible to double girder trusses. It is possible to change type of girder truss at any time. It it hard to show all in one demo.Thank you very much for your remarks.

br

Gintaris

barathd
2008-10-07, 02:56 PM
Gintaris:

Would it be possible for you to post a layout drawing showing the annotation and scheduling capabilities. Do you have a shallow parallel chord truss profile?

Thanks

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-07, 05:57 PM
Gintaris:

Would it be possible for you to post a layout drawing showing the annotation and scheduling capabilities. Do you have a shallow parallel chord truss profile?

Thanks

Dick Barath

Hi Dick,

we will prepare some for you. OK?

tracy.webster
2008-10-20, 06:09 PM
Gintaris,

I just finished reviewing all of the demo's on your web site.
These tools look awsome!

I work for the largest manufacturer of factory built housing in the US.
I have been researching Revit as a possible replacement to our existing Argos software.

One of the main issues with Revit has been the absense of any real framing tools.
With your software, this looks to be changing.

In fact, one of the demo's on your site ended with a teaser indicating that wall framing is coming in the future. Is this true?

When and how will your software be available here in the US?

Thanks,

Tracy Webster

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-21, 07:27 AM
Gintaris,

I just finished reviewing all of the demo's on your web site.
These tools look awsome!

I work for the largest manufacturer of factory built housing in the US.
I have been researching Revit as a possible replacement to our existing Argos software.

One of the main issues with Revit has been the absense of any real framing tools.
With your software, this looks to be changing.

In fact, one of the demo's on your site ended with a teaser indicating that wall framing is coming in the future. Is this true?

When and how will your software be available here in the US?

Thanks,

Tracy Webster

Hi Tracy,
we are planing to offer wall framing tool for Revit in next year with the new release of Revit (April 2009). We are working on other new projects too.
Rafter+ is available now. Truss+ for Revit Structure will be offered in the begining of November (will support metric and imperial units).
We are planing to put in our website final overview demo Truss+ in the end of this week."

Final Truss+ Overview Demo - "All in One - One for All"

Later we will make Truss+ demos for our e-training webpage.

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-10-21, 03:46 PM
Truss+ for Revit Structure will be offered in the begining of November (will support metric and imperial units).

... ... and Revit Architecture as well??? I am getting very nervous - was this an oversight or have things changed?

Regards

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-21, 08:51 PM
... ... and Revit Architecture as well??? I am getting very nervous - was this an oversight or have things changed?

Regards

Dick Barath

Hi Dick,

we are delayed with Revit Architecture. You know - there is no possible to modelling with structural trusses in RA. We have created about 100 families of structural trusses. Sorry for BIM, but we need a time to create the same trusses for RA in architectural format. But !!!
We found more interesting solution. We will create special exclusive for RA users. We need a little time for that. We will show this exclusive in short demo after 2-3 weeks.
OK?

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-10-21, 09:04 PM
I will keep my fingers crossed ... ... ... starting to sound a little "iffy". I sure hope you can follow up with the Revit Architecture release. Will this be a continuing problem with future releases - "sort like a second fiddle." Revit needs to be a single program - no need for this nonsense.

Regards

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-21, 09:15 PM
I will keep my fingers crossed ... ... ... starting to sound a little "iffy". I sure hope you can follow up with the Revit Architecture release. Will this be a continuing problem with future releases - "sort like a second fiddle." Revit needs to be a single program - no need for this nonsense.

Regards

Dick Barath

Yes Dick. We can create architectural trusses , but it is not interesting. To create something new - more interesting work.

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-21, 09:32 PM

Regards

Dick Barath

Hi Dick again,
I have said Yes not for one single program, but for one type of main architectural and structural components. How architect can make a 3D model of big comercial market (for example) with open for peoples view steel trusses?

Architect don't need reinforcement and structural analyzing functions or extensions. So RS must be.

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-27, 07:29 AM
Hi all,

Final Truss+ overview demo "All in One - One for All" was added.

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-10-28, 03:55 PM
Gintaris:

Very nice last video - will Revit Architecture addon have same functionality as Revit Structure addon? If not - what will be missing.

Regards

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-10-28, 08:30 PM
Gintaris:

Very nice last video - will Revit Architecture addon have same functionality as Revit Structure addon? If not - what will be missing.

Regards

Dick Barath

Thanks Dick

will be about the same. Will not be directly integration with analyzis. You now why.

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-11-17, 11:37 AM

Regards

Dick Barath

Hi Dick,
Do you keep your fingers crossed?

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-11-17, 10:44 PM
Gintaris:

Does this mean the "turkey is cooked" - no truss roof generator for Revit Architecture - hope not.

Regards

Dick

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-11-17, 11:14 PM
Gintaris:

Does this mean the "turkey is cooked" - no truss roof generator for Revit Architecture - hope not.

Regards

Dick

Hi Dick again,

Does mean that truss system modelling software for Revit Architecture is at the end.

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-11-17, 11:17 PM
Gintaris:

Pardon me - little confused - does that mean it is available for demo and purchase. I have not seen it on your site.

Regards

Dick

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-11-17, 11:51 PM
Gintaris:

Pardon me - little confused - does that mean it is available for demo and purchase. I have not seen it on your site.

Regards

Dick

I think I shall build small demo in weekend. We worked hardly to rebuild hundreds prototypes of structural trusses to type of architectural trusses for RA.

br
Gintaris

barathd
2008-11-17, 11:55 PM
I do not see any information on price or how to purchase. From what it sounds like "demo" does not mean a "working demo" of the product is this correct?

Regards

Dick Barath

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-11-18, 12:05 AM
I do not see any information on price or how to purchase. From what it sounds like "demo" does not mean a "working demo" of the product is this correct?

Regards

Dick Barath

Will be working demo. We are planing to build commercial version in the first week of December. Now we are building beta version.

jarod.tulanowski
2008-11-18, 02:03 PM
WOW I have been fighting these truss tools for so so long. this would end all that. anyone know a release date?

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-11-19, 03:30 PM
WOW I have been fighting these truss tools for so so long. this would end all that. anyone know a release date?

Dear Jarod,

Truss+ metric for Revit Structure is available now. Truss+ imperial is tested.
We need one more week.
Truss+ for Revit Architecture will be available in the second week of December.
I shall add the small video demo to our website in this weekend (if I have time).
This demo will be introduction to Truss+ for Revit Architecture.

BR

Gintaris
AGA CAD

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-11-24, 12:26 PM
Hi all !

Short video demo about Truss+ for Revit Architecture was added:

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-12-02, 03:06 PM
Hi all !

New Video Demo was added about Truss+ for RA:

Introduction to parametrical trusses "4T4R" for Revit®
Part one - Wood trusses.

FCS of Truss+ for RA - next week.

br
Gintaris

Mr Greg
2008-12-08, 10:29 PM
Is this truss generator limited to wood trusses? Would I be able to create trusses using metal studs? Also, your demos show trusses resting on walls. Will I be able to create truss systems connected to steel beams?

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-12-09, 11:51 AM
Hi Greg,
are you talking about steel trusses?

User can insert manualy Truss System Grid, edit parameters with User inteface as in demo . Then user can generate 3D trusses.
We can add additional button "Select Elements" if user want to automatically detect width (length) of truss system between 2 steel beams.

Br
Gintaris
AGA CAD

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-12-19, 06:18 PM
Hi All,

Truss+ for Revit Architecture - already released .

Merry Christmas

Gintaris
AGA CAD

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-12-29, 02:52 PM
Hi All,

Demo about features of Truss+ for Revit Architecture was added:

Happy New Year !!!

Gintaris
AGA CAD

eric.110455
2008-12-31, 12:43 AM
Im VERY Interested, how do I download a demo to see if it's right for me?
Thanks

iandidesign
2008-12-31, 02:01 AM
Yes, very impressive video.

I would like to know if the software handles typical (hand-cut) rafters as well as manufactured trusses.

Thanks.

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-12-31, 09:29 AM
Im VERY Interested, how do I download a demo to see if it's right for me?
Thanks

Hi Eric,

Happy New Year !!!

I shall write you in the begining of January.

Gintaris
AGA CAD

gintaris.aksomitas
2008-12-31, 09:32 AM
Yes, very impressive video.

I would like to know if the software handles typical (hand-cut) rafters as well as manufactured trusses.

Thanks.

Hi iandidesign,

We have other tool for Revit "Rafter+".
http://www.tools4revit.com/rafter-plus/e-training/

Happy New Year!!!
Gintaris
AGA CAD

iandidesign
2008-12-31, 09:29 PM
Thanks. Very promising indeed.

It does not appear that the rafters are trimmed to the ridges, hips or valleys, but rather overlap. Is this true?

On another note, are you planning a wall framing tool? I ask because I know of quite a few residential architects who specify Advanced Framing techniques (as part of their overall sustainable design strategy). In order to educate contractors they often resort to drafting every stud and header. Automating the process and having a model (vs 2D only) representation would be huge for them, and a great product for you.

Thanks for being so responsive to our questions.

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-01-03, 03:19 PM
Thanks. Very promising indeed.

It does not appear that the rafters are trimmed to the ridges, hips or valleys, but rather overlap. Is this true?

On another note, are you planning a wall framing tool? I ask because I know of quite a few residential architects who specify Advanced Framing techniques (as part of their overall sustainable design strategy). In order to educate contractors they often resort to drafting every stud and header. Automating the process and having a model (vs 2D only) representation would be huge for them, and a great product for you.

Thanks for being so responsive to our questions.

Hi Geoff

Trimming, cutting and coping works good in our tool "Rafter+". We use these functions at the end when all modifications are done. It is the fastest work.

Wall framing tool comes with new release of Revit.
Happy New Year

Gintaris
AGA CAD

iandidesign
2009-01-03, 09:10 PM
Trimming, cutting and coping works good in our tool "Rafter+". We use these functions at the end when all modifications are done. It is the fastest work.

OK. Is this demonstrated in any of your videos?

Wall framing tool comes with new release of Revit.

Excellent!

Do you, or will you provide trial versions so we can test the software ourselves?

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-01-03, 11:19 PM
OK. Is this demonstrated in any of your videos?

Excellent!

Do you, or will you provide trial versions so we can test the software ourselves?

Yes
Please, write your request to
info@tools4revit.com

Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-01-12, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

Some of you asked about Truss+ possibility to frame Dutch Hip End.
Now you can find demo of it in our web:

With Best Regards
Gintaris
AGA CAD

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-01-14, 03:10 PM
Hi all,

A little bit about Gable Trusses:

With Best Regards
Gintaris
AGA CAD

eric.110455
2009-01-16, 10:06 PM
Has anyone downloaded the Demo and played with it? What's your opinion?

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-01-22, 01:27 PM
Has anyone downloaded the Demo and played with it? What's your opinion?

Hi,

We have created special e-training webpage for Truss+
Users will be able to go faster with testing it.

br
Gintaris
AGA CAD

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-01-30, 02:24 PM
Hi ,

Truss+ now includes tools for "L" and "2L" roof returns framing.

Thanks,
Gintaris

barathd
2009-01-30, 06:23 PM
Great video - without sound - I'm not understanding much.

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-01, 10:36 PM
Great video - without sound - I'm not understanding much.

Hi Dick,

There is an example of framed roof with „2L“ return.
I think video is better as slideshow with 3-5 pictures.

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-16, 09:23 PM
Hi all,

Intoduction Demo about parametrical Steel Trusses for Revit Architecture was added to our web:

br
Gintaris

DoTheBIM
2009-02-17, 01:07 PM
Curious... This demo has been out for awhile.... So are there any opinions on the usefullnes, and quality, ease of use, etc...?

My opinion is a bit biased from prior experience as I've been using truss design software for a few years and have gotten use to one software somewhat, so I find it a bit cumbersome with the different terminology and naming conventions of things, something that should be easily overcome with some help documentation upgrades and videos with sound. This software isn't likely headed down the same path as our company as far as I can tell, so for us it would be little more than a modeling tool for pretty pictures. While it would be nice to do all this structure design in Revit, it seems we would still end up exporting/designing/engineering structural in different environment than Revit... at least for Residential design which is all I can provide experence for.

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-17, 05:55 PM
Hi DoTheBIM,

thank you very much for your professional comments

br
Gintaris

Elmo
2009-02-19, 10:04 AM
I have had the oppurtunity to play around with the software itself now for the last 2 months and I am really starting to like the program. I especially like the new version that has been released. It is much easier to make the trusses do what I want than it was previously.

Although there is very little documentation and the actual video's have no sound, I am finding that I can grasp most of what I need to do in order to achieve things. I would also like to thank Gintaris for all the help he has given me so far on getting around problems and finding solutions to interesting roofs.

DoTheBIM
2009-02-19, 07:27 PM
I'd like to see a pdf or something of how people are using the generated geometry in there documentation. schedules, views, detailing, etc. I supect this would be a bit of a pain and tedious at the same time to set up views and such if you have both floor framing and roof framing in close proximity of each other.

I'm attaching some shots of what came out of the tool by default for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I only ever get 2 trusses on any roof I pick and the truss grids get defined above my roof. Maybe the 2 truss thing is by design and you always have to copy/array last truss as needed (used to a another program filling the area for me). but the truss above the roof thing I don't understand. On simple roofs I can see by the videos that tool appears to work, but apparently we'd have to modify our modeling methods in order to make any use of the tool at all. Which would be a catch 22 as the current method is set up so that we can have an accurate take off of roof covering.

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-20, 07:02 AM
Hi DoTheBIM,

1. You can send me roof with walls and I frame it for you.
2. You must use some roof modelling rules if you want to get right framing
Revit Roof instances parameters :Rafter or Truss = Truss (see pictures in Revit Help)
3. Two trusses: You must use AutoCopy function as in e-training video.
You must have web adrress if you have registered software
4. We have released 2009.2 week ago.

All works fine.
Please send me roof with walls and I make special video for you

br
Gintaris
gintaris@aga-cad.lt

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-20, 07:49 AM
I have had the oppurtunity to play around with the software itself now for the last 2 months and I am really starting to like the program. I especially like the new version that has been released. It is much easier to make the trusses do what I want than it was previously.

Although there is very little documentation and the actual video's have no sound, I am finding that I can grasp most of what I need to do in order to achieve things. I would also like to thank Gintaris for all the help he has given me so far on getting around problems and finding solutions to interesting roofs.

Hi Elmo,
thanks
Revit 2010 come. Menu, toolbars and other things will changes.
Sound in e-training and e-help demos will be available for Truss+ 2010.

br
Gintaris

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-20, 02:05 PM
Hi DoTheBIM

I have some questions.
Is your roof model logical based?
How do you want to frame roof with higher ridge (second picture)?
Which roof (roof part) is the main one?
From first and second pictures it looks like:
Roof with lower ridge is the main one. It must be framed with standard trusses along all length of roof.
For roof with higher ridge and triangle cuts partial valley sets are required.
Only complete Valley Set is included in current version of Truss+
In current version of Truss+ ridge of roof part with Valley Set can‘t be the highest ridge of roof.

br
Gintaris

DoTheBIM
2009-02-20, 04:11 PM
I sent the model as you requested.
Not sure what you mean by logical based?
My main roof is the higher one, but I'm not sure what main roof means to your program as I don't see it defined anywhere. Main roof to a computer program may not mean main roof to a human.

My roof represents the coverage on top of the trusses or rafters (i.e. sheathing & shingles), it does not include the structural framing thickness in it's type definition. I found it to be too messy for modeling to include that information in the roof object, so I omitted it and set up or company process to do the same. Maybe thats what your asking about logical?

The real way we'd design and manufacture this roof is rafter for the higher ridge, trusses for the two sides including the valleys. but it shouldn't make a difference if I wanted to frame all of it with common trusses or some other method.

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-20, 07:41 PM
Hi DoTheBIM,

Thanks. I got your roof.

Hi all,
New good next thema for this Thread - Roof modeling rules or standards!
What is roof? I think roof is not only sheathing & shingles.
Must include structural framing thickness.

br
Gintaris

DoTheBIM
2009-02-20, 07:58 PM
Rules and guidelines for you tool would be very helpful to new users.

If your tool requires the structure to be included in the roof type then we would have to create/maintain/coordinate yet another roof object for each piece of roof.... becuase including the structure in residential roofs is not pratical for us unless it's 2x6 or less. If you have a 2x12 rafter system included in your roof definition then you have a 2x12 gable overhang too... which is quite unsightly in most conditions. This is why I choose to make our office standard to model the sheathing/shingles only as the structure isn't typically seen anyway except in section. Plus you had to model a seperate ceiling object anyway in order to place your lights. which kind of created that thickness for the structure without having to model it.

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-20, 08:23 PM
How many Revit users work in this way?
We can add switch - structure included :ON/OFF

DoTheBIM
2009-02-20, 08:32 PM
We had 7 at one time but are down to 3.

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-20, 10:08 PM
Economical situation is not so good as we want

gintaris.aksomitas
2009-02-22, 01:15 PM
Hi DoTheBIM,

Framed roof will be on our FTP site

br
Gintaris

sdowler
2009-11-20, 08:09 PM
I am currently using 2010.3 truss + but I am getting a few errors, such as "no grid symbols found" and also I am not understanding how to create outriggers on a gable end.

thanks for the help in advance to any who reply.

Sean D

sdowler
2009-12-11, 04:29 PM
I am looking for software other than truss + to do roof generated trusses. I have not been able to get even simple trusses to work in revit so I would like a program that can generate trusses based upon the roof shape very similar to truss + but easier to use and understand.

charleswilly
2021-08-03, 08:30 PM
I have worked for a national company in eastern Washington that rhymes with Bro Guild AkA Guilders Second Worse. We build wood trusses for buildings. Most of my fellow employees barely know how to read a tape measure. They use any lumber that comes through the door. Warped, cracked or rotting doesn't matter. Sometimes there's so much Wayne on the board half of it is missing. The metal plates we put on are usually set wrong so it can't actually hold the weight and forces its specs say it can. It most likely is not square and very well could have the wrong grade of lumber or wrong connecting plate. Out of 6 production lines maybe 2 I would let build my trusses and even then I would only want the foremen touching them. It's amazing people and inspectors let this stuff fly. I'm talking about 2 inch gaps under the supporting king post in your house. Somehow this stuff doesn't get called out. I can only imagine the managers are paying the inspectors to not blow the whistle. This stuff is systemic. I'm talking a out 80% of these trusses are not up to code. [ view: wattinsider (https://wattinsider.com/) ]

Also as a tip if you want well made trusses this is what you do if you want a house and trusses "built like they used too".

Have the house built by the most reputable contractor you can and learn everything you can about home building in your area. Then make a point to stop by with lunch or cold beer after their shift. Don't be an *** but keep an eye on everything. A subway and case of cold beer and bottle of private reserve could mean the difference of getting a building constructed and getting home that was built with love and everything taken seriously. Soms sub contractor will try to half *** something and he will have half the crew telling him to fix his ****. Look for someone with a plumb in their toolbox or better yet tool belt that looks used. That's the guy.