PDA

View Full Version : Three grid curtain system

2008-09-10, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I need to create a Curtain System that has hexagonal panels, the only way I can think of doing this would be through using a three grid system (grids at 120 degrees to each other), but it appears to me that Revit can only support two grid systems. I have mocked up what I want but every other panel has join lines running through it (see attached screengrab).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could achieve this without the horrible join lines and a proper hexagonal panel system?

greg.mcdowell
2008-09-10, 06:53 PM
You'll need to embed this extra grid in custom curtain panels... but it sort of looks you're already doing that.

Which "horrible join lines" are you talking about? Can you post an image of what it "should" be?

2008-09-11, 07:52 AM
You'll need to embed this extra grid in custom curtain panels... but it sort of looks you're already doing that.

Which "horrible join lines" are you talking about? Can you post an image of what it "should" be?
It's the vertical lines that I am trying to get rid of, we are after a true hexagonal facade system that we can swap out hex panels for different colours and window units, see attached (AutoCAD based) image.

chris.macko125036
2008-09-11, 02:10 PM
When you make your custom curtain panel you don't have to stay inside the boundary reference planes. try leaving the panels that have the joints out and making your hexagons extend over on one side. You might need to make 2 hexagons per curtain panel to get the tiling right, but that's how I'd go about it.

2008-09-11, 02:15 PM
When you make your custom curtain panel you don't have to stay inside the boundary reference planes. try leaving the panels that have the joints out and making your hexagons extend over on one side. You might need to make 2 hexagons per curtain panel to get the tiling right, but that's how I'd go about it.
That sir, may well be a stroke of genius sir! I'll give it a go and post back what I get.

Thanks! :beer:

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-11, 02:49 PM
Actually, to avoid overlapping panels, you have to try to work with one panel in each curtain panel family, but you will have to create at least two different panels to different situations. See my rough example. I have added a flip arrow to my panel so I can switch directions when need.

I hope it helps.

Andre Carvalho

2008-09-11, 03:15 PM
Andre, I don't really understand what you did there and the only version of 2009 I have is Structures, which is moregrief than I need right now!

I went with the multi-panel with overlap approach and came up with the following, I will have to make some end piece panels, but this will do most of what I want:

chris.macko125036
2008-09-11, 03:23 PM
The only reason I said multiple panels instead of individuals is because it lets you select all the panels on the system and essentially make them the same. with individual panels you'd need to pick them 1 at a time, which for a small enough area isn't a big deal. I use a lot of overhanging panels for spandrel conditions on the tower I'm working on, they're all rectangular grids, but lots of repetition.

2008-09-11, 03:32 PM
The only reason I said multiple panels instead of individuals is because it lets you select all the panels on the system and essentially make them the same. with individual panels you'd need to pick them 1 at a time, which for a small enough area isn't a big deal. I use a lot of overhanging panels for spandrel conditions on the tower I'm working on, they're all rectangular grids, but lots of repetition.
Whatever the reason you said it, it worked a treat! :beer: