PDA

View Full Version : toposurface problem

bob.86982
2008-09-12, 07:49 PM
I have imported an autocad contour drawing into my revit project and created a toposurface over it. The problem is that revit creates a boundary around this irregular shaped contour area that sometimes is beyond the end of the contour line interior points. Revit then fills in the area between these interior points and the boundary line with distorted contour lines. They are distorted because it joins them to the boundary so that they are all equal distance apart along the boundary.

Is there a way to have the toposurface boundary conform to the limits of the surveyed area? Or does anyone have another way to eliminate this distorted area?

ron.sanpedro
2008-09-12, 08:13 PM
I have imported an autocad contour drawing into my revit project and created a toposurface over it. The problem is that revit creates a boundary around this irregular shaped contour area that sometimes is beyond the end of the contour line interior points. Revit then fills in the area between these interior points and the boundary line with distorted contour lines. They are distorted because it joins them to the boundary so that they are all equal distance apart along the boundary.

Is there a way to have the toposurface boundary conform to the limits of the surveyed area? Or does anyone have another way to eliminate this distorted area?

If you define your initial site larger than you need, you can then Split Surface into two topos, the accurate area you need, and an extraneous bit you throw away. I find I often have to extrapolate some topo to get the part I want to keep to be accurate, but that is still better than letting Revit do that extrapolation and be dead wrong.

Gordon

bob.86982
2008-09-12, 09:32 PM
Gordon,

Thanks, that worked although it was a bit time consuming. I had to draw lines along the end of the contours so I could see them through the toposurface and split the surface. Because there were several areas around the perimeter and the split surface can only divide the surface into two areas I had to do each of several areas separately. In the future I will ask my surveyor to extend his contours beyond the area I need so that it is easier to split off the perimeter in a single operation.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob