PDA

View Full Version : Complex Railing

Brandon_Pike
2008-09-15, 03:47 PM
Would anyone know how to go about creating a guardrail with balusters and mesh to remain perpendicular to the strigner on both horizontal and sloped areas?

See attached image

Thanks,

cliff collins
2008-09-15, 04:06 PM
You will need to create a custom Baluster Panel family.
Standard Revit balusters are vertical elements, even on sloped
railings.

Check tutorials/help on custom baluster panel creation.

This is indeed a bit of a challenge!

Cheers....

Brandon_Pike
2008-09-15, 04:12 PM
I've tried to create an angled baluster using the balsuter.rfa, baluster panel.rfa, I just cant can; seem to get the angles/formulas right... when I change the angle the length doesn't cooperate so I either get a baluster that has the correct angle and sticks way out above the top rail or gets cut short. I am also trying to incorporate the brackets for the handrails )insterted seperatly) on eahc baluster and that's a whole different can of worms when it comes ot changing the angle. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

sbrown
2008-09-15, 04:42 PM
The balluster family template has angled ref.planes, you need to sketch / constrain your design to those angled planes instead of the horizontal ones. Then for the mesh you will make that as a sep. profile since its continuous and add it as a rail with a mesh material(crosshatch set to 100% transparent).

Brandon_Pike
2008-09-15, 04:59 PM
Correct me if I am wrong... but aren't the angle reference planes just for the angle of the sringer to allow for the top and bottom of the balusters to be shaped per each angle? I've tried to attach the top and bottom of my baluster to the angled reference planes and attach the shaft to the vertical plane and rotate the vertical plane but I get "many-a-errors" I'm assuming because I am trying to rotate reference planes.

sbrown
2008-09-15, 05:15 PM
Here is my quick attempt if you need it more accurate you will need 2 sep rails on for the mesh and one for the posts so you can stop and start the mesh. but you could handle that in the details.

sbrown
2008-09-15, 05:18 PM
Here is my balluster family.

Brandon_Pike
2008-09-15, 06:43 PM
Fantastic...!

This may be just me totally missing something... but when I place the baluster into my rail family the baluster still remains completly vertical... am I missing a step?

Thanks,

sbrown
2008-09-15, 07:56 PM
Not sure what is set wrong in your file. What does your rail structure and balluster structure look like? Heres mine.

Brandon_Pike
2008-09-15, 09:48 PM
Got it. I was having issues with the angles being instance parameters when I needed them to be type parameters

Brandon_Pike
2008-09-15, 10:13 PM
Now my next task is to add the handrail bracket to the balusters.

sbrown
2008-09-16, 12:51 AM
Create it as a sep. balluster family, load it in and add it to your railing system. See the wall mounted railing in the stair and railing sample file for how this works.

Brandon_Pike
2008-09-16, 05:51 PM
What I am trying to do is have the bracket attached to the balusters of the guardrail so I am sure that a bracket will be on every baluster; I am also inserting the railing seperate from the guardrail due to conflicts with the handrail extensions and the start and end balusters. It's getting the bracket to rotate with the baluster correctly that's posing some issues.

sbrown
2008-09-17, 01:26 PM
Try making it a generic model(under setting make sure allways vertical is unchecked). then align and lock it to the balluster family once nested. You may need to us a angle dim. to lock it to 90 from the angled ref. plane.