PDA

View Full Version : Demolition Plans

ededios
2008-09-15, 05:50 PM
Hello Everyone,

Quick question: I have a new door in an existing wall, the demo floor plan shows the opening as demolished just fine, but the Elevation view of that same area does not. I have them both set to view the same phase filter.
Does Revit not show demolished openings in elevation?

Thanks in advance for you help

Scott Womack
2008-09-15, 06:45 PM
Hello Everyone,

Quick question: I have a new door in an existing wall, the demo floor plan shows the opening as demolished just fine, but the Elevation view of that same area does not. I have them both set to view the same phase filter.
Does Revit not show demolished openings in elevation?

Thanks in advance for you help
I'm not sure what you are trying to show. Does the new door show in the elevation? What are you actually trying to see in the elevation?

ededios
2008-09-15, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to show. Does the new door show in the elevation? What are you actually trying to see in the elevation?

I'd like to show the outline of where the new door will be dashed/demolished. The elevation doesn't show the wall demolished where the new door will be, like it does in plan.

Thanks!

Scott Womack
2008-09-16, 10:36 AM
I'd like to show the outline of where the new door will be dashed/demolished. The elevation doesn't show the wall demolished where the new door will be, like it does in plan.

Thanks!

IF the door fills the original opening, or is larger than the original opening, then Revit probably would not be able to show the edges of the opening. You could create a series of wall styles, set to the same widths as the original opening with something in the comment field, like demoed wall opening. Then you could use a view filter in the elevations, and set the projected lines to be hidden, but I'm not sure even this would work, since there would be two edges overtop of each other.

patricks
2008-09-16, 05:26 PM
When you insert a new door into an existing wall, the piece of wall cut out for the door is automatically demolished. However, that piece of wall is still has its geometry joined to the main wall, which means there will be no lines showing in elevation around the edges of the demolished portion of the wall. In elevation, you need to select the Unjoin tool at the top, and then pick that piece of the demolished wall. Then you will see the dashed lines in elevation showing the edges of the demolished wall.

ededios
2008-09-16, 11:52 PM
. . . . you need to select the Unjoin tool at the top, and then pick that piece of the demolished wall. Then you will see the dashed lines in elevation showing the edges of the demolished wall.
GREAT! It worked I just had to make the existing wall, the overlapping portion, invisible.

Thank you!

ededios
2008-09-16, 11:56 PM
IF the door fills the original opening, or is larger than the original opening, then Revit probably would not be able to show the edges of the opening. You could create a series of wall styles, set to the same widths as the original opening with something in the comment field, like demoed wall opening. Then you could use a view filter in the elevations, and set the projected lines to be hidden, but I'm not sure even this would work, since there would be two edges overtop of each other.
Thank you, I didn't try this, seemed too much work. But I will and in reading it I think I could use this "technique" in other ways.. . . . I'll post my result, if it worked or not :)

Thank you!

Scott Womack
2008-09-17, 10:13 AM
Thank you, I didn't try this, seemed too much work. But I will and in reading it I think I could use this "technique" in other ways.. . . . I'll post my result, if it worked or not :)

Thank you!

No problem. In the number of projects I've been able to take from conception through construction close-out of Revit, I've learned the hard way that the "shortest" or easiest route in this software to accomplish a given task, often came back to haunt/hurt me time waise in a later portion of the project ( in terms of actual building construction). Therefore some of my answers tend to be given with regards to this. Many firms will not maintain/use the Revit Model extensively during construction administration/closeout. I tend to.