PDA

View Full Version : How to create a refrence callout head

ablood
2008-09-15, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know a way to create a callout head that would have capabilities to reference other drawings? There are times when I need to use a callout head that has no callout bubble, but would like to have the callout head be intelligent. Or perhaps a way to utilize the current callout and reference but have the callout line work to be toggled on or off.

greg.mcdowell
2008-09-15, 09:04 PM
Are you talking about needing to create a callout of a view already created? Sounds like it. If so when you create a new callout look in the Options bar for Reference other view. It places a Sim next to callout and gives it the same location information as the referenced view.

ablood
2008-09-15, 09:13 PM
I do need to create a reference to a view already established but not by drawing a callout bubble around something to reference that other view, rather there are time when I have a note adjacent to a drawing and within that note I saw refer to such detail such and such on sheet whatever. rather than typing that reference out in text I want to have a callout head adjacent to that note. Currently I have a "fake" non-intelligent callout head but would like to make it intelligent so that if the referenced view moves on the sheet so will the info in the callout.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-09-16, 06:48 AM
You can place the callout head and reference the other view as you normally would. Then you can use the grips on the callout boundary to reduce it nothing so it look like it's the callout bubble only.

amjones
2009-01-08, 09:47 PM
Hi all,

In a related vein, if I place callouts for Drafting Views that have no model content I do it via the "Reference Another View" check box and pull down on the option bar when I place the tag. I have two questions:

1. Can I retroactively make a tag reference another view...when I select an already placed tag I am not given the Option Bar pull down or check box to reference another view...and I can find it in the tags properties...thoughts?

AND

2. Is there a way for the tag to not say "SIM." next to it?

Thanks a lot,
Drew

andrewjohnson97
2009-01-09, 02:46 AM
Hello,
1. You must create a new view callout to change the reference,unfortunately.
2. To remove SIM, go into the type parameters for the callout and delete sim from the reference label parameter. We ussually leave this blank and add text for sim/opp, etc. It tends to be more flexible.

Andy

Scott Womack
2009-01-09, 11:48 AM
To remove SIM, go into the type parameters for the callout and delete sim from the reference label parameter.

You need to beware, that this information is actually stored in a view "type" That means if you are changing it for one or more views, it will change it for every reference of those views throughout the file.

amjones
2009-01-09, 02:14 PM
Andrew, Scott,

Thanks, for the responses. I thought I might have to alter the tag family to get the SIM to go away. I will have a discussion with my users on the issue. In reality if the detail is not a model cut or references another model cut it will in fact have to be 'SIM'. That said, a lot of contractors I know see 'SIM' and think..."OK where is the real condition".

I may take a look at making the 'SIM' an option that is selectable per tag to have SIM, OPP or be blank. Is this what you are talking about Andrew...or are you just manually putting 'SIM' next to the tag?

Anyway, thanks for your help,

Drew

andrewjohnson97
2009-01-09, 02:56 PM
I've found the callout head family a little cumbersome to modify. It is restrictive in the fact that you cannot make the ref label parameter an instance parameter, or create your own instance parameter and use it as a label. (Definitely a bummer IMO.)

Our users have found they prefer to just add (dumb) text after creating the callout as opposed to managing several callout types. Text is much more flexible in where it is located in relationship to the callout head on crowded plans.

amjones
2009-01-09, 04:15 PM
Andy,

Thanks for headign me off from heading down the "I'll just make a tag with an instance parameter' road.

Drew

kevellis
2009-01-09, 06:11 PM
Hello,
1. You must create a new view callout to change the reference, unfortunately.
2. To remove SIM, go into the type parameters for the callout and delete sim from the reference label parameter. We usually leave this blank and add text for sim/opp, etc. It tends to be more flexible.

Andy

You can also create different types with the same callout head.
Just use the edit/new button and duplicate the type, enter the appropriate information in the Reference Label. Name the types, detail, detail-sim, detail-opp, etc.(or whatever works for you).

This way you can just select the callout and use the type selector to change the reference label to a blank, sim, opp etc. tag

andrewjohnson97
2009-01-09, 07:51 PM
Hi Kevin,

Have you found this to work? I've always found when making multiple detail view "types" to work. The problems start when you create a couple of callouts, each referencing the same detail (try referencing a drafting view for example). If you assign one callout to be the "SIM" type, the other automatically becomes a SIM condition as well. Change that one to be an "OPP" type, and the first becomes OPP instead of SIM.

The reference label is actually a view property of the drafting view/detail view/plan etc. Any callout referencing the said view will always use this same "reference label" parameter.

Maybe I've been missing something this whole time, but it doesn't seem to be extremely functional.

Andy

kevellis
2009-01-09, 10:08 PM
Hi Kevin,

Have you found this to work? I've always found when making multiple detail view "types" to work. The problems start when you create a couple of callouts, each referencing the same detail (try referencing a drafting view for example). If you assign one callout to be the "SIM" type, the other automatically becomes a SIM condition as well. Change that one to be an "OPP" type, and the first becomes OPP instead of SIM.

The reference label is actually a view property of the drafting view/detail view/plan etc. Any callout referencing the said view will always use this same "reference label" parameter.

Maybe I've been missing something this whole time, but it doesn't seem to be extremely functional.

Andy

Andy,
You are correct.
This will not work as easily as described for all callouts. You can always use a new "blank" type when referring to specific problem callouts and then using your suggestion of of "dumb" text in those situations looks like the best solution.

Thanks for the clarification