PDA

View Full Version : Phasing Openings in Structural Components

jhd
2008-09-15, 09:39 PM
I'm linking in a structural model into my architectural model. The project is a large gut renovation, so it's critical that I model all the existing elements as accurately as possible. In doing this I currently have two phases in the model - existing and new construction. The new construction phase will have a number of beam penetrations for ductwork (new construction phase), and there are also existing penetrations that need to be modelled (existing phase). Currently the beam penetrations are modelled as openings, but they can't be phased, so I need a different approach. I was thinking about an in-place family using a void that cuts the beam, but then i won't be able to schedule the openings, and there may be a point where i want to schedule to various beam penetrations. any thoughts/comments/help?

Scott Womack
2008-09-16, 10:32 AM
I was thinking about an in-place family using a void that cuts the beam, but then i won't be able to schedule the openings, and there may be a point where i want to schedule to various beam penetrations. any thoughts/comments/help?

Create a Generic wall hosted family, that consists of a void that can be controlled by instance parameters. The void is ten told to cut the wall. I took and placed a reference line constrained to each side of the wall, and then took the extruded void and constrained a side 1" beyond each of these reference lines. I also placed Symbolic lines in the family so it would show up as dashed in plans, and I can then change these to solid in the reflected ceiling plans via the VG overrides.

Mike Sealander
2008-09-16, 10:52 PM
The other nice thing about a wall void cutting an existing wall, and so on, is that if the void is made in New Construction, Revit recognizes something has been demolished, and the demolished portion of wall appears as a demo item.
I haven't done this with beams, but I suspect the same is true.