PDA

View Full Version : Bending Grid Lines

jrogers.194618
2008-09-15, 11:53 PM
I'm working on a project that has grid lines that bend, but I cannot find out how to make a grid that bends. I tried inserting 2 grid lines but revit gives me an error and will not allow duplicate names. Please help!

NKramer
2008-09-15, 11:57 PM
As it stands currently you cannot bend grid lines nor can you have two grid lines with the same name. There are all sorts of work arounds; 1 and 1. 1 and 1space or you can link in a separate file with grid 1 at an angle and then use those....

None of which really get you what you want but it works.

HTH
Nick

Jun Austria
2008-09-16, 02:15 AM
I'm working on a project that has grid lines that bend, but I cannot find out how to make a grid that bends. I tried inserting 2 grid lines but revit gives me an error and will not allow duplicate names. Please help!

This grid bending of a single grid letter or number is not allowed in actual practice. This will only further confuse the situation when setting out on site. A grid line can only be represented by two points.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-09-16, 04:33 PM
I'm with junaustria on this one. This is not good practice and should be avoided.
Try appending grid names with an apostrophe ( e.g. 2 and 2') or just assiging a different number/letter.

AJGKennedy
2008-09-16, 08:06 PM
I would agree this is a bad practice, but I would like to see it just for the fact that it is done... and when we have to deal with what has been done... for example... joining and or renovation work with existing buildings, how do you match them... I have had the unfortunate task of dealing with buildings were this was done lots... sometimes it is not just a bending of a grid, but a shifting of a many grid lines through the building...

I believe that this should never be done, but what do we do when dealing with what has been done... and we want to keep the same references as the existing to keep the new drawings matching the documents that created the shells and the base for the new...
This is a problem... I have created multiple grid systems and brought them in together in an attempt to match the existing, but this is very complicated and doesn’t really work well...

Just thought I would through my 2 cents in since I have seen this problem in it's worst case... :(

Steve_Stafford
2008-09-16, 08:45 PM
You might consider the ideas offered at the HOK Cad Solutions (http://hokcadsolutions.blogspot.com/2008/01/identical-grid-numbers.html) blog. One technique is to use a separate project file with the repeated grids and linking it into your project. Another by Daniel Hurtubise is to created "fixed" grid types that use a preset "value" that display the repeated grid values and the actual Grid Name is not displayed. You do have to be careful to name them so they don't conflict with real grid names/numbers.

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-16, 09:09 PM
You can also access Daniel's file by accessing this thread:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=78553

Andre Carvalho