PDA

View Full Version : Shear Wall Indicator

orwake
2008-09-17, 03:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to make an annotation to indicate shearwalls and their respective holddowns that will flex to give me instances based on the length and a couple of text parameters to label the holddowns and reference a nailing schedule. I was able to do this starting with a generic wall based family but the file size is large (3.5 megs) and I don't want to clutter up my model with 60+ of these when a 150KB (seems to be the average annotation size) file might do. I am a novice in family creation so I am probably missing the obvious- - - when I tried to create one using the generic annotation template, I could not get text or a label to lock to a reference line (or anything for that matter). Also, the lines available seem to be very limited. How would I go about this?

I have posted the family I did create below and want to do something similar, yet simpler!

Any tips?

Excuse me if this is in the wrong forum... I didn't get any response from the "Family" Forum.

Scott Womack
2008-09-17, 10:05 AM
- when I tried to create one using the generic annotation template, I could not get text or a label to lock to a reference line (or anything for that matter). Also, the lines available seem to be very limited. How would I go about this?

Any tips?

Create just a Generic annotation family, making an instance parameter for the text. Then you can nest that into the tag family you are trying to create. That way you might be able to lock the annotation to a reference line. Now re-create the instance text parameter, and "hook" the nested tag's parameter to the new parameter. Good Luck!

orwake
2008-09-18, 04:26 AM
Hi Scott,

I did try what you suggested, nested a generic annotation family and nested it into a tag family. I can get it to align and lock to a reference line but it will not flex properly and gives the "constraints not satisfied" error. (My reference lines flex fine without these texts locked) . I am still having problems with what I am sure is very elementary.

Please see attachment for this new attempt.

The "holddown text on the left has a group of lines associated with it, the one on the right is just the text... it doesn't seem to matter - - -neither will move with my reference lines.