PDA

View Full Version : Attaching wall to curved mass

spashed
2008-09-17, 08:45 PM
Does anyone have any experience with attaching regular walls to curved geometry that is driven from a imported mass?

The attached image shows the scenario i am attempting to deal with.
I would like to be able to model a pivot door at the opening between the 2 walls but first need to actually get the 2 walls to meet properly.

So far the only success I have had is importing a nurbs surface that is perpendicular to and matches the profile of the curved wall, then attaching a wall by face.
Unfortunately as this only extrudes a wall by the desired wall thickness it ends up clashing with the curved wall.

Would love any suggestions here, ideally the 2 walls would join as per a typical wall...is this too much for revit to do?

regards

calum

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-17, 09:40 PM
Is the curved wall a wall created by selecting the mass faces? You four try creating a section (or elevation) parallel to the interior wall to be able to see it in elevation and then try to edit the wall profile to match the sloped wall. Then use Join Geometry to make them join.

Andre Carvalho

spashed
2008-09-17, 10:34 PM
Great, That appears to work fine as long as the cut profile is reasonably accurate.

Now the next step is to be able to place a pivot door in the wall that will follow the curved walls profile at one end.

Is there a way that a door profile can extract the profile of a wall it is placed into?

regards

calum

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-18, 12:19 AM
Great, That appears to work fine as long as the cut profile is reasonably accurate.

Now the next step is to be able to place a pivot door in the wall that will follow the curved walls profile at one end.

Is there a way that a door profile can extract the profile of a wall it is placed into?

regards

calum

Walls can host doors and if the door family you are creating has an opening or a void cutting the wall that's part of the family template, then that door when inserted into the project and placed in the wall will cut the opening out of the wall.

Andre Carvalho

Scott Womack
2008-09-18, 10:32 AM

regards

calum

There is no way that a door family can detect that it is being placed in a curved wall, and behave differently that it would in a straight wall that I know of.

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-18, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. If the wall you want to insert the door is the one in curve and slanted, than you can't do that automatically. If that's the case I will suggest to export the curved wall to dwg and import it into the door family creator. You still will have the system straight wall there but the dwg will serve as reference to model the door as you want.

Another option is to model this door in place of it only occours once in the project.

Andre Carvalho

spashed
2008-09-18, 08:15 PM
Hi,

Yes I figured the only way to do this would be to extract a vertical slice through the wall at the intended door placement and use this curve to generate a modelled door.
this would imply that it would not actually be hosted in the wall though, just placed in the correct position?

cheers

Calum