PDA

View Full Version : Propagate new views/sheets across multiple old projects?

Ted Foureagles
2008-09-18, 12:33 AM
Hi y'all:

Using ADT 2007 sp1, one man shop.
I've been working with a builder for a few years now, and have several dozen finished projects archived. They're all one to three-story stand-alone residential units. Now the builder has decided to franchise, so we've turned most of these into prototype models created new from the original as template. So far so easy.

We need to create a couple of letter-sized sheets for each one -- simplified plans on one page, pair of exterior renderings on another. I have the first one completed, and it took a fair bit o' work to get the low detail display properties set up properly for the simplified plans, link to Viz Render, tweak lights, materials, render to jpeg, fiddle in Photoshop, etc.

What I'd like to be able to do for the dozens of other old projects needing the same treatment is set up some sort of template to propagate as much as possible of this work across the whole project group. I imagine that I'll have to create a display configuration with a unique name that I can import into each construct, but beyond that I'm not so sure how to proceed. The projects are consistent enough that it would usually be possible to re-use things such as notes, sheet layouts, views, cameras, lights, sun angles, render settings, etc.

Now how the heck might I do that? I pre-bid all this at 2 hours per project at my standard 2D drafting rate, just because that's what the client could afford. I don't mind if it takes three times that long, since I ain't trying to get rich, but ten times that might start making the schedule untenable -- not to mention cutting into my drinking time.

Comments, love letters, hate mail & advice all equally welcome.
Thanks.

}}}}

dzatto
2008-09-18, 03:41 PM
Welcome to AUGI and congrats on your first post. :beer:
The first thing that comes to mind is to create a template. You could actually use the drawing you already have set up, then delete the whole drawing and save that as a template. That way all your suns, notes, text styles, etc. are saved in the template.

Then I would just copy each construct into the new template, then save it as a new construct or create a whole new project if you want to keep your arcived ones just in case.