PDA

View Full Version : Shared Paramater question

spashed
2008-09-23, 12:29 AM
What is the best way to create a parameter that can be used by multiple objects?
Currently i have a variety of in place walls that are built seperately so I can name them and schedule seperately but share a few common dimensions.

I would like to be able to set a dimension for their width once and all walls would update at the same time. Currently I go into each wall and edit it individually to update it.

hope thats clear

regards

calum

mtyp
2008-09-23, 02:49 AM
So these are In-Place Families?

You could add a Project Parameter to the Category that you have placed those families in.

If its a family (not In-Place) you can add a Shared Parameter. which will schedule and tag.

spashed
2008-09-23, 03:05 AM
Yes, In place.

I have shared parameters set up for one of the walls that i can schedule.
What i now want to be able to do is build another wall, dimension it with the same shared parameter and it will instantly adjust to the same width of the previous wall mentioned.
Then at any point later on if i need to adjust a dimension i can do it once and all walls will adjust instantly.

hope thats clear?

regards
calum

mcloer
2008-09-23, 03:50 AM
Not trying to be a jerk. But it sounds like you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

spashed
2008-09-23, 04:12 AM
sorry,

Maybe I'm missing the point.
How am i re-inventing the wheel?

I just want to be able to set a length ( say 4m) as a parameter that can then be associated with multiple mass walls, so i'm only ever changing one parameter to change the length in all the inplace masses.

regards

mtyp
2008-09-23, 04:44 AM
Have you got a labeled Dimension added to your solid?

Screen shots or uploads might be useful here

mcloer
2008-09-23, 04:50 AM
My fault. i misunderstood.

I think im just unclear as to what you want to accomplish.
sorry

mtyp
2008-09-25, 02:23 AM
wait a sec, is the parameter your after a "Shared Parameter" or "System Parameter"

Length for a wall is a system parameter, it will not schedule the same as a shared parameter added to an In-Place family

Steve_Stafford
2008-09-25, 05:46 AM
Assuming that the walls you are making can't be made with the wall tool which would provide what you want?

You can't "share" a parameter across multiple separate in-place families in this way. You can however create a parameter that the walls can share if they are all built in the same in-place family editing session. So in this approach all these in-place walls you've made would need to be multiple solids created during the same single in-place editing session.

aaronrumple
2008-09-25, 01:03 PM
It really sounds like this is a job for massing rather than parameters on a wall. Include the parameters in a mass family and then use the faces of the mass to build the walls.