PDA

View Full Version : Revit Bug - Faceted Display of Curves in families

Andrew Dobson
2008-09-23, 01:06 PM
There is a serious bug with the way that Revit displays some curved elements within families, instead of a smooth curve, it is displayed faceted.

A typical example is with a classical column family. I have drawn the profile of the column base in the family editor, with smooth curves, but when this is loaded into the project, it gets displayed as a series of straight lines. It also exports to AutoCAD this way.

I can just about get away with this on general arrangement drawings, but on any large scale details it just looks ridiculous.

Here is my workaround: Open the family, copy out the profile, export to AutoCAD, import into a Revit drafting view. This then looks ok, but takes forever to do.

Is there a better solution?

NB: I have submitted a support request to Autodesk about this

aaronrumple
2008-09-23, 01:22 PM
Not really. Revit displays al curved surfaces with a preset llevel of detail and faceting.

You can use symbolic lines within the family in lieu of the 3D geometry - however this doesn't accomodate all the angles something like a round column can be viewed.

You can save some time by not going to AutoCAD, but going directly to a drafted lines. Trace over the column base and then turn off the 3D column.

Andrew Dobson
2008-09-24, 04:45 PM
You can save some time by not going to AutoCAD, but going directly to a drafted lines. Trace over the column base and then turn off the 3D column.

This doesnt always work for me, hence the AutoCAD step.

This is apparently a "well documented issue that will be fixed in a future release of Revit" according to support.

Guess it just irritates me more than most ;)