PDA

View Full Version : Manipulate Surface Pattern Inside a Family

david.fannon
2008-09-23, 09:14 PM
I would like to adjust the placement and rotation of a surface pattern on some objects inside a family. The assigned material has a surface pattern that is a model pattern (so it can be manipulated in other contexts.) In fact, I can even assign this material in family editor and adjust away.

However, once the family is loaded into a project, I cannot select (using tab) and single line in order to align, rotate or move the hatch. I've tried this as both a generic and a specialty equipment family. I've tried assigning the object's material using a material parameter assigned in the project environment, and by assigning the objects in the family to sub-categories then using object styles in the project environment. I've tried the material property as both type and instance parameters, and subcategories under both of the categories (generic and specialty equipment). I've tried using dimensions with labels to control the placement of the hatch lines only to get a "constraints not satisfied" error. I rechecked using a new family and get the error even when the parametrized dimension was the only constraint going.

So are you just not allowed to do this in a family, or am I missing something?

cdatechguy
2008-09-23, 10:54 PM
What I would do is assign the material in the family a material parameter....that way you can assign the material with the proper rotation inside the project itself...

david.fannon
2009-03-03, 10:58 PM
.that way you can assign the material with the proper rotation inside the project itself...

You mean have a material in which the pattern is rotated to do what I want? So I would need (potentially) a large number of patterns, one for each rotation?

Unfortunately, that's not even really the issue, as the rotation was just to demonstrate that it's possible to manipulate the pattern in family editor and have that change reflected in the project. What I really want to do is manipulate the pattern in the project.

Scott Womack
2009-03-04, 10:50 AM
I would like to adjust the placement and rotation of a surface pattern on some objects inside a family.

However, once the family is loaded into a project, I cannot select (using tab) and single line in order to align, rotate or move the hatch.

So are you just not allowed to do this in a family,

I do not believe you can adjust this at the family level, inside of a family. Create sub-objects within thew category, and for each of these materials, select the geometry within the family, make a Material Parameter, that can be assigned from the project, so it would drill down to the objects within the family. Then within the project, you might be able to adjust the pattern.

d.stairmand
2009-03-07, 01:23 AM
David
We also had this "Material Pattern" issue with a tiled shower base.
We wanted to show that the tiles went into the shower. we could change the pattern ok - but not its origin or rotation within the shower base family.

I think that its just one of those things that revit does!!

patricks
2009-03-09, 03:20 PM
From my experience, you can NOT rotate or adjust a model surface applied to a family while in a project.

You CAN rotate/adjust the pattern while in the family editor. So if you have a family with a material set with a model surface pattern, you will have to open/edit the family, adjust the pattern there, and then reload it into the project.

It is quite frustrating for sure.