PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Won't Schedule if it's not Near the Center of the Room?

Steve2982
2008-09-23, 10:25 PM
Okay, so I'm new at Revit, and I've got something weird...

I have a long skinny room, in which I have a bunch of waiting room chairs... I created a furniture schedule to count them. For some reason, only the chairs near the center of the room show up on the schedule. I've deleted all the furniture and replaced it. If I copy a chair from the center of the room to the edge, the new chair won't show up on the schedule. If I incrementally move a chair from the center toward the edge, it eventually drops off the schedule. If I move it back to the center, it reappears.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Steve.

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-23, 10:49 PM
If you get closer to the room tag and press TAB you will see the X showing the room extents. Looks like your room is either not enclosed by walls or you have room separation lines that are preventing it from extend all the way to where t is supposed to be. This may be causing the chairs that aren't close to the center to be out of your room schedule... If you see your room to small compared to the actual area, check if your walls are room bounding (under their properties).

Andre Carvalho

Steve2982
2008-09-24, 12:13 AM
Well, the area seems about right and it looks like the room is fully bounded... See attached.

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-24, 12:45 AM
Yeah, it seems fine... Have you checked your family to see if the chair(s) is close to the center reference planes? The intersection of the reference planes is the origin point of your family and therefore if is not properly set, your chair can be in the room but the origin outside the room and therefore not counting anymore as a chair in that room...

Andre Carvalho

Steve2982
2008-09-24, 04:52 PM
Hmm, hadn't thought of that, but I think I'm okay there too...

aaronrumple
2008-09-24, 04:56 PM
A. Are those planes defined as the origin?
B. Where is your origin in levation? And do these sit inside the room in elevation (bottom not hanging below floor?)
C. Are these using nested families? Are they shared?
D. If they are shared nested fmailies, have you checked the origing points for the nested objects?

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-24, 04:57 PM
Hmm, hadn't thought of that, but I think I'm okay there too...

Are these 3 chairs drawn in one family or is it one chair family nested into the main family and copied 3 times? If that's the case you could also check the single chair family, although I think you have done that already...

It would be great if you could post a file containing only those walls, room, chairs and schedule to allow us to take a better look on that.

Andre Carvalho

Steve2982
2008-09-24, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, for your help. I'm attaching a file.

I think I've narrowed the problem down. As I was slimming down my file to upload, I noticed that when I deleted the rooms below the room in question, the chairs popped into the right place in the schedule. I guess somehow they're getting grouped in with the rooms below.

The 3 chairs are in one family that I created by importing a 2D CAD block. I'm pretty sure the CAD block sits at the base elevation of the family. Also, I never created a floor object for any of the rooms. Does that make a difference?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but even in 3D it *looks* like the chairs are located at the right level...

lhanyok
2008-09-24, 07:33 PM
If the upper limit of the room below is set to the floor level where your chairs are, they are probably scheduling with the room below. Lower the upper limit of that room and see if that helps.

Steve2982
2008-09-24, 11:14 PM
Wow, that did it. That's awesome. Thanks. So, I guess even though the two rooms are touching and not really overlapping, the furniture was tied to the room below.

DaveP
2008-09-25, 02:32 PM
I'm a great advocate of Schedules.

When you have a problem like this, create a Schedule that's loaded up with just about every Parameter you can find. Don't filter anything. Then you can sort it by whatever you want. In his case, you could have sorted by Level and you probably would have found your problem right away. (I assume that, by "below" you meant the room below vertically, not the room to the south). Or, if you sorted by Family Name, you might have noticed that the Room Name for those chairs looked funny.

A schedule doesn't have to go on a sheet. Working Schedules are one of the best features of Revit.

srajeshh12
2008-09-25, 02:39 PM
Could you upload an attachment of the room now that it is fixed? I am curious to see the difference that it made. i have had a similar problem and couldn't get mine resolved quite as easily.
Thanks