PDA

View Full Version : Filters bug?

dbaldacchino
2008-09-24, 06:51 PM
Hi all,

I just came across this and wanted to hear your thoughts.

The filter tool in V/G gives us the option to add up to 3 Filter Rules. That means that if you include 2 rules, the filter will apply to objects that fall under both rules. So far so good....but why does Revit let me set "Family Name" in the first rule and ALSO in the second and third rules? A family cannot have more than one family name! If you set the first one to filter for family "X" and the second one for family "Y", I would expect that it will grab BOTH, but in fact it grabs neither of them. If I select to filter by some parameter in one of the 3 rule list boxes, Revit should eliminate the selected option from being shown in the other list boxes. Does that make sense?

twiceroadsfool
2008-09-24, 07:00 PM
Makes sense, but they couldnt remove the Family Need filed for options 2 and 3... they would have to just not let the filtering value being the same.

Because we do something like the attached:

If Fire Rating wasnt available as options 2 or 3, it wouldnt fly... Theyre all filters reading the same parameter, but with different values.

EDIT: Or are you saying in Settings > Filters it lets you use family names as the AND /OR?

dbaldacchino
2008-09-24, 07:18 PM
Take a look at the attached project.

Go to Level 1, V/G and edit the filter "Walls". Notice that it is trying to filter for Type Names "Generic - 5", "Generic - 6" Masonry" and "Generic - 12" Masonry". Yet, the overrides applied to the filter are not being applied to any of those walls. Logically speaking, it makes sense because the "And" in this case is telling Revit: "grab all objects meeting all three criteria". But how can an object have 3 type names? I'm using type name as an example here, but the same would apply to width, height, etc. How can you grab doors that are 4'-0", 3'-0" and 2'-10" wide at the same time? The list boxes should act like filtered lookup fields so that if in either of the three listboxes I select "Type Name" for example, then "Type Name" will NOT be an option in the other two list boxes. This is an interface problem more than anything. Filter-face, get it? :)

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-24, 07:42 PM
Yeah, and I think we have the same problem with filters in schedules. If you filter using the same parameter, it will just ignore all and won't bring anything...

Andre Carvalho