PDA

View Full Version : Joints and Patterns in a TIle Floor

michaelf
2008-09-24, 08:05 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to show both the joints (say in a 12" x 12" tile floor) yet also differentiate between the tile colors with a model hatch at the same time within a floor type. It seems I can only show the joints as a surface model cross hatch, or tiles of different color with different surface model hatch patterns, but not both within the same floor type. I did a search on this and couldnt find much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to have to avoid using filled regions and linework as much as possible!

twiceroadsfool
2008-09-24, 08:12 PM
You make make any custom hatch pattern you want, with a model pattern. We actually use hatchkit or somethign similar to build the actual tile patterns and put them on the floors as surface patterns.

You cannot use multiple colors though, unless you render. You can make a material and map it to the model hatch pattern in the MR library, but then you have to render every view you want it to show that way in. Just pick the main color of the gradient, and call it a day. :)

michaelf
2008-09-24, 09:33 PM
You make make any custom hatch pattern you want, with a model pattern. We actually use hatchkit or somethign similar to build the actual tile patterns and put them on the floors as surface patterns.

You cannot use multiple colors though, unless you render. You can make a material and map it to the model hatch pattern in the MR library, but then you have to render every view you want it to show that way in. Just pick the main color of the gradient, and call it a day. :)

I appreiciate the response, however....

Unfortunately I'm not looking to render this floor "tile". I need to differentiate on a set of Construction Documents the floor pattern graphically. I realize I could model mutliple floor types and schedule this, but the contractor will need a graphic representation of the floor layout to get the design intent. I can show him the actual tile layout--where the joints are across the floor space, but I can't show which tile is which across that floor area. What I'm ideally looking for is to show all the joints, and then have areas (represented by say a sand hatch) where the tile is a different color--while still showing the joints. I can only show a joint pattern hatch or a "sand hatch" representing the differentiation of color, but not both.

twiceroadsfool
2008-09-24, 09:37 PM
Ahh, i see. Well, you will need to do one of the following then:

Create custom hatch patterns that have both the 12x12 AND additional hatching (sand, diagonal lines, etc), or model different Floor Types with the 12x12 pattern and have them as different shaded colors, and plot that drawing in color/shaded mode.

Or, have them different Floor Types, and bump up the lineweights where teh floors touch one another (I think its called interior edge, or something similar under VG) and use an intelligent tag (Type Mark) to denote which floor is which.

Orrr, the (worst) other option is filled regions on top of the floors, to show the second hatch patterns...

michaelf
2008-09-25, 01:40 PM
Ahh, i see. Well, you will need to do one of the following then:

Create custom hatch patterns that have both the 12x12 AND additional hatching (sand, diagonal lines, etc), or model different Floor Types with the 12x12 pattern and have them as different shaded colors, and plot that drawing in color/shaded mode.

Or, have them different Floor Types, and bump up the lineweights where teh floors touch one another (I think its called interior edge, or something similar under VG) and use an intelligent tag (Type Mark) to denote which floor is which.

Orrr, the (worst) other option is filled regions on top of the floors, to show the second hatch patterns...

Being that I want to avoid filled regions, I think option 1 will work best. Appreciate the response again. Option 1 is rather obvious there! :) Thanks.

cliff collins
2008-09-25, 01:49 PM
michaelf,

Determining the best way to do this in Revit depends on the design/complexity of the joint/tile pattern. Can you post an example?

cheers....

Scott Womack
2008-09-25, 02:11 PM
I appreiciate the response, however....

Unfortunately I'm not looking to render this floor "tile". I need to differentiate on a set of Construction Documents the floor pattern graphically. I realize I could model mutliple floor types and schedule this, but the contractor will need a graphic representation of the floor layout to get the design intent. I can show him the actual tile layout--where the joints are across the floor space, but I can't show which tile is which across that floor area. What I'm ideally looking for is to show all the joints, and then have areas (represented by say a sand hatch) where the tile is a different color--while still showing the joints. I can only show a joint pattern hatch or a "sand hatch" representing the differentiation of color, but not both.

You cannot do what you are describing. The normal workflow I have seen is to put the grout lines on with the model Surface pattern in the material, and then create a transparent set of filled regions, and place those overtop in a given set of views.

sbrown
2008-09-25, 02:18 PM
I use multiple floor types for various tiles. then draw them exactly how we want them, then with the join geometry tool you end up with one floor with multiple colors/patterns. This lets us use the material tag to pull the material info from each diff. tile type. It works very well and is fairly easy once you get used to it.

cliff collins
2008-09-25, 02:32 PM
Scott,

The floor pattern plans look very nice.
We use the same method. How are you achieving the complex designs/patterns
in the floors? Are these custom hatch patterns/surface patterns?

cheers......

Scott Womack
2008-09-25, 02:38 PM
Scott,

The floor pattern plans look very nice.
We use the same method. How are you achieving the complex designs/patterns
in the floors? Are these custom hatch patterns/surface patterns?

cheers......

We typically use the "defined line system under model patterns. We've found that trying to show a Dbl line for the grout doesn't add anything to the contractor's understanding of the design. As to the transparent fill patterns, we typically create a legend of these patterns, and they get assigned to specific colors. We use different spacings, shadings, etc. to illustrate this.

twiceroadsfool
2008-09-25, 02:43 PM
I couldnt agree more Scott, i do them the same way. :)

cliff collins
2008-09-25, 02:44 PM
Scott W,

Thanks--
The question was directed to Scott Brown regarding his method/attachment.

Cheers.....