PDA

View Full Version : WU2 - still crashes on exit, still possible memory leak

patricks
2008-09-25, 08:57 PM
I'm still running into the same problems of what seems like a memory leak, and crashing upon exit with WU2. This always seems to happen in the late afternoon when Revit has been open for 7+ hours already.

Just a few minutes ago, the programs I had running were Revit 2009 with 2 project files open, Outlook, Winamp, and then one instance of a Windows Explorer window.

I tried to open a dinky little 36 KB PDF, but Acrobat opened with nothing in it. The page counter field at the top was blacked out. So I tried opening that same file in Photoshop, and the program wouldn't even start.

So I closed Outlook and Winamp, closed one of the project files in Revit, tried to open that PDF file again in Photoshop, and this time the program started, but gave me this error - "Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable".

So finally I closed Revit altogether, and was finally able to open the PDF file in Photoshop.

At the start of this whole process, available system memory was still north of 1.5 GB out of 3 GB total (4 GB installed, 3GB switch NOT turned on). This was according to the Performance tab in the Task Manager.

Now I have only Revit and Firefox running, available memory is nearly 2 GB, but Photoshop will not open and gives me the same error as above. If I restart the machine right now, I could open anything I want - Revit, Photoshop, Illustrator, multiple PDF files, etc. all at the same time.

System is a Dell Precision with dual dual-core Xeons, 4GB RAM, XP32 SP2, and Revit 2009 WU2.

cliff collins
2008-09-25, 09:16 PM
WU2 installed.
120MB Revit file open
Outlook open
Photoshop open
Adobe Reader open

No problems w/ any app.-- no crash on exit.

Win XP Pro 64 bit
Quad Core Intel 2.66Ghz
8G ram

domglam
2008-09-25, 09:25 PM
where did you get WU2?
I cant find a link anywhere.

Wes Macaulay
2008-09-25, 10:03 PM
WU2 hasn't been publicly released yet -- some people saw a link for it but until the build has been posted by Adesk everyone just has to wait ;-)

Jun Austria
2008-09-26, 12:56 AM
I'm still running into the same problems of what seems like a memory leak, and crashing upon exit with WU2. This always seems to happen in the late afternoon when Revit has been open for 7+ hours already.

Just a few minutes ago, the programs I had running were Revit 2009 with 2 project files open, Outlook, Winamp, and then one instance of a Windows Explorer window.

I tried to open a dinky little 36 KB PDF, but Acrobat opened with nothing in it. The page counter field at the top was blacked out. So I tried opening that same file in Photoshop, and the program wouldn't even start.

So I closed Outlook and Winamp, closed one of the project files in Revit, tried to open that PDF file again in Photoshop, and this time the program started, but gave me this error - "Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable".

So finally I closed Revit altogether, and was finally able to open the PDF file in Photoshop.

At the start of this whole process, available system memory was still north of 1.5 GB out of 3 GB total (4 GB installed, 3GB switch NOT turned on). This was according to the Performance tab in the Task Manager.

Now I have only Revit and Firefox running, available memory is nearly 2 GB, but Photoshop will not open and gives me the same error as above. If I restart the machine right now, I could open anything I want - Revit, Photoshop, Illustrator, multiple PDF files, etc. all at the same time.

System is a Dell Precision with dual dual-core Xeons, 4GB RAM, XP32 SP2, and Revit 2009 WU2.

Have you tried on x64? I get a 3dsmax mental ray memory problem, the program crash just opening the file x86. But in x64 everything is smooth. guessed this is a OS related problem.

patricks
2008-09-26, 01:05 AM
Our office doesn't run 64-bit operating systems.

Alex Page
2008-09-30, 12:46 AM
What video card are you using?
Not a stupid question (honest!) - we had a problem with one of our Revits seeming to run out of memory and therfore not being able to save to central whereas there seemed to be lots of memory spare.
The Video card we had was a ATI Radeon X300 running Omega Drivers - took the Omega drivers off and downloaded the latest drivers from ATI and problem fixed!