PDA

View Full Version : Wall opening

Kbosch.184344
2008-09-26, 08:18 AM
Would it be possible to get openings in a wall that aren't made of a rectangled shape, like the picture below? If so ..how?

Scott Womack
2008-09-26, 10:04 AM
Would it be possible to get openings in a wall that aren't made of a rectangled shape, like the picture below? If so ..how?

Simply create a generic, wall hosted, family. In that family, create a couple of reference lines, you can dimension an angle from the wall centerline to those reference lines. You could also add a pair of reference planes intersecting the wall and reference lines at either the wall centerline, or a face of the wall Use a linear dimension to dimension spacing of reference items. IF these are all set to instance parameters, you'll be able to adjust the angles, and width of the opening.

Kbosch.184344
2008-09-26, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the reply, though I don't really understand what you're doing.
I can't find the generic wall hosted family, or is a "generic Model wall based" the thing you're talking about? Did you create an opening and somehow aligned it to a reference line? .......I've placed some reference lines at my wall and added some dimension, but have no clue how to set it to instance parameter, so I can't change the angle.

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-26, 12:05 PM
Yes, you will have to use a generic model wall based family to start. There, instead of using an opening to create the hole in the wall, you will use a void that will cross through the wall and cut it. Now, as Scott mentioned, depending on how you want to control the object, you may want to add reference liness and angle parameters to control the object. To add parameters, just align and lock you object's sketch lines to a reference plane or reference line, add dimensions to it, select the dimensions and add a label to it.

Andre Carvalho

Kbosch.184344
2008-09-26, 12:24 PM
I understand what you're saying. I will try this out... thanks. :beer:

dlpdi5b
2008-09-30, 12:02 AM
See if this helps, I made a wall opening family using a blend and some trig. the sill bevel angle is adjustable and the head and side jamb bevel angles are adjustable.