PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to change line thickness for each wall type separately?

Gadget Man
2008-09-26, 10:56 AM
Hi All,

I must have one of my senior moments but I can't recall a way to change the weight (thickness) of the lines defining differend types of walls.

For example, I want my brick veneer wall (the brick part) to be surrounded by a different line thickness than its stud part (core). Also I would like to have my concrete cast in-sitiu wall to be bordered by the different thickness lines than, say, my single skin brick walls.

How do you do it?

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-26, 12:27 PM
I think you can control that if the wall elements you want to have different line thickness have different layer function. I don't have Revit in front of me now but there's an option if you go to the visibility graphics overrides that allows you to set the override for the layers of the walls that are being cut.

If that works, then you can create a view template and apply to other views.

Andre Carvalho

cliff collins
2008-09-26, 12:37 PM
Line weights inside host objects,such as walls, are controlled with Object Styles in Visibility Graphics settings.

cheers...

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-26, 12:55 PM
Line weights inside host objects,such as walls, are controlled with Object Styles in Visibility Graphics settings.

cheers...

But not for specific layers of the wall. In object styles you can set it differently for common edges, hidden lines. What the OP wants is to set, let's say, the brick differently from the stud. That's possible by having the brick and the stud in different layer functions and then going to visibility Graphics overrides > Override Host Layers > Check Cut Line Styles > Edit > Override them.

Andre Carvalho

cdetore
2008-09-26, 12:56 PM
Maybe by using filters?

Gadget Man
2008-09-26, 01:34 PM
But not for specific layers of the wall. In object styles you can set it differently for common edges, hidden lines. What the OP wants is to set, let's say, the brick differently from the stud. That's possible by having the brick and the stud in different layer functions and then going to visibility Graphics overrides > Override Host Layers > Check Cut Line Styles > Edit > Override them.

Andre Carvalho

OK, thank you very much!

I don't have Revit in front of me right now either, but I will check it out tomorrow.

The other thing is if, say, two different walls (e.g. concrete wall vs. single skin brick) have both their function set to "Structure [1]" (both are single layer) but I need to make the concrete wall line to be thicker than the brick wall. I don't think this would be possible to make it globally? I am thinking that perhaps after all the walls are modelled, pick one concrete wall, select all instances, change graphics overrides, etc, would be the only option...

Rick Houle
2008-09-26, 02:09 PM
That is awesome. I forgot about that that one.

But now that all my users are mostly happy with LWTs, I'm going to do my best to keep it under wraps and avoid a whole new debate..!

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-26, 02:42 PM
The other thing is if, say, two different walls (e.g. concrete wall vs. single skin brick) have both their function set to "Structure [1]" (both are single layer) but I need to make the concrete wall line to be thicker than the brick wall. I don't think this would be possible to make it globally? I am thinking that perhaps after all the walls are modelled, pick one concrete wall, select all instances, change graphics overrides, etc, would be the only option...

In that case, I think adding a project parameter to the wall and using filters to override the specific wall type would be the option.

Andre Carvalho

Gadget Man
2008-09-26, 09:08 PM
In that case, I think adding a project parameter to the wall and using filters to override the specific wall type would be the option.

Andre Carvalho

Sorry Andre, could you elaborate a bit on that one? I mean, I could try to do it myself but all these questions are from my students, with whom I have another lesson today and I would love to have an answer ready for them, rather than try to work it out myself - I may not have enough time to do it... Thanks in advance!

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-26, 09:32 PM
Sorry Andre, could you elaborate a bit on that one? I mean, I could try to do it myself but all these questions are from my students, with whom I have another lesson today and I would love to have an answer ready for them, rather than try to work it out myself - I may not have enough time to do it... Thanks in advance!

Sure. Go to Settings, Project Parameters, add a new one, name it, make it a Type parameter, make it as a text entry (so you can type anything you want), assign it to walls. Now because you have assigned it to walls, when you edit the properties of your walls you will see the parameter there, where you can type something to make that type of wall unique. Once it is done, you van go to Visibility Graphics Overrides and create a new filter that will filter only walls containing the text you typed in the parameter filed you just created. Once the filter is created, you can add it to your view and set it to override the lines weight of the object being cut. It will override all of them in that view. The last step will be creating a view template from that view to apply to all the other views you want that wall showing override.

I hope it helps.

Andre Carvalho

Gadget Man
2008-09-26, 09:46 PM
Thanks!!! That's what I needed! Geez, it's good to have AUGI ;)