PDA

View Full Version : Floor Tile and Plan View CD's

designer56644
2003-08-10, 12:57 AM
Hi All,

After trying filled regions yesterday, and then reading posts regarding thin finish floors, I was thinkin that thin floors would be the magic bean to solve my headaches with "hatching a tile floor" for a CD I'm ready to plot...Now after creating a 1/8" thickness tile floor between FF and Slab, I'm confused to see that my new thin tile floor is showing through sys. family toilets, cabinets, counter-tops, etc.

Is there a way to command Revit to respect view order/materials above the floor finish in plan view?

TIA
Bill

P.S., my level orders/alignments are O.K.

beegee
2003-08-10, 01:28 AM
Bill,

The elements all need to be either 3D, or models constructed with filled regions to hide the floor finish.

Personally, I always use the 3D models for WCs , Basins etc. For benches, I just do a quick model as an in-place family extrusion.

Go to the Rugi site and download their 3D models and substitute these for the 2D ones you have. From memory, some of these models need a bit of tweaking to show as full solids. If you have problems, I can post models that work properly.

LRaiz
2003-08-10, 02:54 AM
The downside of using 3d toilets, etc. is that they are slower than 2d to draw. Instead of using true 3d it is often possible to modify 2d to work well enough. Make your families in such a way that instead of lines they use filled regions. Think of a 2d family that consists not of wires of lines but of thin sheets of materials.

On the other hand if you need to make 3d views then 3d families is the way to go.

designer56644
2003-08-10, 03:31 AM
Thanks beegee

I've attached two looks so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.
I really am try to do it the Revit way, and model in +90% 3d.

The "Model.gif" is a screen shot of a 3d view. You can see everything
is pretty much modelled in 3d with Revit families. "Plan.gif" is a screen shot of the same area of the model as it appears in the sheet view and the planview when floor detail is on, and that is how it plots too.
You can also see that a counter-top I made does not have that transperency problem (island with cooktop), same with the corner countertop at the sink. Kinda weird how the tile pattern shows up in the sink compartments.

It's a mystery to me:)

<edit> thanks LRaiz, I was writing while you were posting...ummm, coming from you esp., emmmm, are we tending to get way to hung on purist 3d when producing final doc's, etc.?</edit>

LRaiz
2003-08-10, 04:05 AM
Sorry if my post caused some confusion. 3d geometry is usually a better way to go. The only two cases when 2d may be justified are (a) you are really in a hurry and don't have time to model in 3d or (b) you are dealing with a very big project and 3d display starts slowing you down.

Regarding your particular example I suggest re-checking cabinets and cooktop families. Is it possible that in these families visibility of 3d geometry is limited to 3d views only but line drawings are indicated to be used in plan? Open rfa files, select appropriate components and press visibility button. Make sure that 3d geometry is used for plan view display.

archjake
2003-08-10, 05:15 AM
To place tile on a floor I use the split face tool to define the area, then I use the paint tool to paint a material defined w/ the desired tile pattern.
I think this method would fix some of your problems.

Jake

designer56644
2003-08-10, 06:36 AM
Hey LRaiz,

NP, the confusion is all mine.

Your insight into my question answered it perfectly.

Tomarrow it looks like I get to spend some quality time with my "families". Oh well...

Thanks Man.