PDA

View Full Version : Don't be quick to install WU2

Bill McLees
2008-09-26, 10:10 PM
Just a note:

WU2 installation did not go smoothly for me. In addition, the only change I can see is that Revit takes much longer to load than before.

Also, having reviewed the "fix" list, the WU2 release doesn't solve any problems I was having. If it does for you, I see no reason not to install it. However, based on my experience, I would wait a few days and see whether others have similar problems.

I'm not going to update any other machines until the speed improves on this one. The splash screen stays up long enough for me to get coffee. After the long load time, however, Revit appears to function as before.

One suggestion: The splash screen should be changed with each update to simply say "Revit 2009 WU2" or whatever the release is. Then no one has to wonder what build is installed.

Regards, Bill

Andre Carvalho
2008-09-26, 10:35 PM
It may be an isolated case. I installed the service pack yesterday and it works just fine...

Andre Carvalho

BigBadBIM
2008-09-26, 11:50 PM
One suggestion: The splash screen should be changed with each update to simply say "Revit 2009 WU2" or whatever the release is. Then no one has to wonder what build is installed.
Regards, Bill

Alot of people don't know this is there, but if you click <help> then <About Revit...> then <Product info> you can see what build, version and SP or WU # you're running.

:beer:

Bill McLees
2008-09-27, 12:51 AM
I agree that it's always been possible to check the build thru the menus. However, with Max, the splash screen notes that you have installed the "productivity enhancement" and the title of the application window notes that you're running Max 2009 SP1.

I just like it better that way, but others may not. Also, I agree my bad experience with WU2 may be out of the ordinary. I'm just warning others to go slow in case it's not.

Bill

muttlieb
2008-09-27, 03:36 AM
WU2 installation did not go smoothly for me.
...based on my experience, I would wait a few days and see whether others have similar problems...

Can you elaborate on the installation issues you had? What problems should people look out for? I also observed the long load time on the first launch after the update, but subsequent launches seemed normal. Other than that, the only thing I gather from your post is that Revit works as it did before.

Bill McLees
2008-09-27, 06:08 PM
The installation cut off all running programs including Windows Explorer. Installation itself took several minutes more than such updates usually do. After installation completed, the splash screen did not appear. I got a black rectangle instead. I waited for several minutes and then rebooted. The second try, I got the splash screen, waited a long time for revit to begin working, then it proceeded to reinstall some of the content (which had installed with no problem when I originally installed Revit 2009 and again when I installed WU1.

As of now, things are fine except for the long time it takes to load revit to begin with.

I have had no problem installing any Revit release or update until this one so I guess that's not a bad record.

Bill

Gadget Man
2008-09-27, 11:57 PM
In my case it took surprisingly short to install - I actually was prepared for much longer install and then - tada - it was there.

I haven't noticed any slow down in start-up or in performance. Everything runs smoothly. Well, it even didn't overwrite any custom files (contrary to the warning posted in the "How to install" pdf file).

Dean Camlin
2008-09-28, 12:03 AM
My installation also went surprisingly quickly. Cudos to the factory! The first time restarting the program took longer than normal, but since then it seems to load quicker too.

Steve_Stafford
2008-09-28, 01:00 AM
Sorry you had trouble... My experience was fine and quick...so maybe the title should read, "it is a quick install" :smile:

Joef
2008-09-28, 01:17 AM
How would I find out about this Web Update if I was not an AUGI member? I have not had any official notice via the Communication Centre, or by email from subscription. I was just going to do a search for the web update link and realized that this is an odd sort of communication channel since it is not really a part of Autodesk. Just curious..

Steve_Stafford
2008-09-28, 01:46 AM
When I fired up Revit this morning the satellite dish icon for communication center had a little yellow exclamation mark. This is supposed to provide some notice. Others have commented that it does not for them. It does have to be configured to work.

Previously staff have said that Autodesk doesn't like blasting customers with email as an explanation of why we don't get an email notice. While I commend them for not wanting to there is a difference between alerting customers to a new release and spamming me about events, sales promotions and other such marketing stuff. Then there is also the issue of who Autodesk think owns the software, the primary contact may be someone other than the person responsible for deployment.

I consider the fact that AUGI members find out quickerer an AUGI benefit :wink: :beer:

Joef
2008-09-28, 02:12 AM
AUGI is definitely a benefit. The communication center has nothing about this web update, though it has other information about Revit from as recently as last month.

Steve_Stafford
2008-09-28, 02:17 AM
Now that you mention it...I just checked again. I mistook the extension info at the top for the announcement since I already knew about it I didn't actually read it. So yes you are correct, I see nothing in the CC either. Their must be some odd sequence involved to get it announced. Something like a team in San Rafael that has to be informed so a web team in Toronto can post it :smile: Aaah corporate america!

brenehan
2008-09-28, 07:15 AM
I've had no difficulty in installing Service pack 2. Nice and quick.

priitl22047477
2008-09-29, 05:58 AM
Everything was nice and quick to me too , but
I cannot see that i have installed it?

Did I?

It said that completed successfully?

But according to "Web Update Enhancement List" my build number at least should be WU2 20080915_2100

But i have still the previous Web Update 1 build (20080602_1900).

Am I missing something?

ws
2008-09-29, 10:05 AM
On my installations it shows under Product service pack:
'Web Update 2 Service Pack'

but still shows '2009.0.0' under Product Version

I notice that the patch installed much faster under Vista 64 than it did under XP but the process was very straightforward in both cases...

although I did disable my anti-virus and anti-spyware before running the patch.

cliff collins
2008-09-29, 12:37 PM
Installed quick/easy.
No noticeable effects positive or negative thus far......

cheers.....

patricks
2008-09-29, 12:37 PM
WU2 took about 2 minutes to install.

No problems after installation, but it doesn't seem much different than before.

Splash screen stays up for about 5-10 seconds on my machine before the Recent Files view appears.

saeborne
2008-09-29, 01:26 PM
Revit Architecture 2009/ RevitĀ® Platform Enhancements...

Improves stability when accessing Pantone dialog.

I'm very pleased to hear about this. This issue was killing me. Hopefully it helps.

Bryan

patricks
2008-09-29, 01:54 PM
I do not have any problems getting to the Pantone color picker box. However I don't recall my co-worker having that problem with WU1, either.

DaveP
2008-09-29, 02:30 PM
Bill;
I wonder if your slow load may not be WU2, but might be the Recent Files previews.
AFAIK, The Recent Files screen rebuilds the thumbnails every time. I've noticed that if we have a large, complicated project in there, it can take a while before the Recent Files show up. It could be that you've got a big project, or a project on a remote server, or something like that.

Try going into your Revit.INI file. Look for the [Recent File List] section. Delete all of the File#= lines under it, and then start up Revit to see if that makes a difference.

Also, review your File Locations. Maybe the update messed with your Template Location, or some other default setting.

BTW, my update installed quickly, and I haven't seen any other speed changes (good or bad).
I think I lost my Keyboard Shortcuts.ini, although I didn't notice it until after the fact. I'm waiting for a few days before I roll it out to the rest of the office, so I'll update when I do more.

scott.latch
2008-09-29, 02:31 PM
The Product Version not changing is a known issue that was discovered at the last minute. We felt it was not worth holding up releasing the Service Pack. It will be fixed in the next Service Pack. For now, you can just go by the build number (20080915_2100) to determine if it is installed.

Also, the Comm. Center message is not as automatic as one might think. We will be adding that today, so those not on AUGI will be notified.

UpNorth
2008-09-29, 03:25 PM
FYI, to see the build number go to Help --> Product and License Info (rather than Help --> About as previously mentioned).
You can see the build number at the top.

Bill McLees
2008-09-29, 05:10 PM
I have now installed WU2 on my primary machine with no problem at all. I had a number of other programs open and the installer did not shut any of them down.

I'll keep playing with the laptop to see what might have caused the problem for it.

Bill

gordolake
2008-09-29, 11:15 PM
All good here, screen refresh and load time seem to be a little quicker too, (zooming etc.)

Thanks factory.

steve

hopeless221
2008-09-30, 03:22 AM
Voila dave P. your tip is awesome, please post other useful tips like - Deleting Recent file List.

dfriesen
2008-09-30, 04:13 PM
Try going into your Revit.INI file. Look for the [Recent File List] section. Delete all of the File#= lines under it, and then start up Revit to see if that makes a difference.
Hmmm, sounds like something that could be programmed into a startup script.

Nice tip.