PDA

View Full Version : Roof Barg Rafter sizing

Rhythmick
2004-09-28, 03:05 PM
When creating a rafter roof using 2x12 rafters, is there a way to make the barge rafter (end rafter) on the gable overhangs out of a 2x6 without creating the overhang seperately and joining?

sbrown
2004-09-28, 03:42 PM
the easiest way in my opinion is just create your roof, then copy it right in the same place, edit the first roof and delete the overhang, then edit the 2nd roof and just have the overhang. change the roof properties of the 2nd as req'd, then use join geometry to clean up the line between the 2 roofs.

Rhythmick
2004-09-28, 04:14 PM
Scott,
I take that as a "No". Great Tip - Thank you!

Mike Lenz

Yman
2004-09-28, 04:28 PM
Not at this time. You have to create different roofs as Scott said.

I do it a little different. I use a standard roof volume and then copy they roof below and edit the sketch to the exterior walls and do the 2 cut eave and that gives me my roof pack for 2x12's and the roof then is all 1 roof.

Y

bclarch
2004-09-29, 05:54 PM
You could use a void to cut away the bottom of the overhang but I'm not sure that it will save you much time over duplicating & joining.

Rhythmick
2004-09-30, 08:09 PM
Since the roofs have to be created seperately & joined, I've found a quick method of editing the gable overhangs back to the o.s. wall core, going to elevational views of the gables and creating a Roof by Extrusion, setting the working plane to the existing core end rafter and copying the top line profile of the main roof. That sets the barg rafter at the correct height. However this method does not work with a compounding angled roof line, in which case I liked the copy under method.

Mike Lenz