PDA

View Full Version : Using filters to edit lineweights

MattHarrison
2008-09-30, 05:30 AM
Regarding what was posted below (last saturday i think)

I am one of Jetisarts students and am looking for some clarification.
I have created a parameter assigned to walls, and then filters that control lineweights for single skin walls eg timber stud or brick. The problem i am having is that when i try to set up a filter to control a brick veneer wall it is treated as a whole and lineweights are set to the same for both components (stud and brick). Is there a way within that filter to separate the two like you can when you separate host layers? (I cant use separate host layers because all walls with the same function change at the same time)

I hope that makes sense.

Matt.

ORIGINAL POST:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetisart
Sorry Andre, could you elaborate a bit on that one? I mean, I could try to do it myself but all these questions are from my students, with whom I have another lesson today and I would love to have an answer ready for them, rather than try to work it out myself - I may not have enough time to do it... Thanks in advance!

Sure. Go to Settings, Project Parameters, add a new one, name it, make it a Type parameter, make it as a text entry (so you can type anything you want), assign it to walls. Now because you have assigned it to walls, when you edit the properties of your walls you will see the parameter there, where you can type something to make that type of wall unique. Once it is done, you van go to Visibility Graphics Overrides and create a new filter that will filter only walls containing the text you typed in the parameter filed you just created. Once the filter is created, you can add it to your view and set it to override the lines weight of the object being cut. It will override all of them in that view. The last step will be creating a view template from that view to apply to all the other views you want that wall showing override.

I hope it helps.

Andre Carvalho

Scott Womack
2008-09-30, 10:09 AM
Regarding what was posted below (last saturday i think)

I am one of Jetisarts students and am looking for some clarification.
I have created a parameter assigned to walls, and then filters that control lineweights for single skin walls eg timber stud or brick. The problem i am having is that when i try to set up a filter to control a brick veneer wall it is treated as a whole and lineweights are set to the same for both components (stud and brick). Is there a way within that filter to separate the two like you can when you separate host layers? (I cant use separate host layers because all walls with the same function change at the same time)

Matt,

The answer is no. Filters provide no method for getting to just one material or layer within a wall. Using View Properties/Visibility/Graphic Overrides will allow you access to
a check box to turn on what is called "Override Host Layers"/Cut Line Styles. This will allow you to override portions of walls by what function the wall layer was assigned. However, this is effecting ALL walls that have that function in them for that view.