PDA

View Full Version : How do I bring in hatch paterns from cad.

kginty81
2008-09-30, 04:26 PM
I remember hearing that this was possible in training, but I cant figure it out. I am looking to bring some office standard hatches from cad 08 to revit 09.
Thanks

Kevin

cdatechguy
2008-09-30, 04:29 PM
Import the fill from your office standard .pat file...

Do a search for Revit.pat and it will have all the info you need to add to your CAD pattern file for it to work with Revit.

jeffh
2008-09-30, 04:31 PM
From the help file.

Click Settings menuFill Patterns.
In the Fill Patterns dialog, under Pattern Type, select Drafting or Model.
Click New.
If you are creating a drafting fill pattern, select how to orient the fill pattern in the host layers. See Fill Pattern Host Orientation for details.
In the New Pattern dialog, select Custom.
Click Import.
Select the desired pattern file (PAT), and click Open. See Custom Pattern Files for information on creating a custom pattern (PAT) file.
NoteDefault Revit Architecture fill patterns are stored in the revit.pat and revit metric.pat files in the Revit Architecture program group Data directory. The revit metric.pat file contains various metric masonry and iso patterns.
Click the menu next to Import to view the list of available patterns. Select a pattern from the list.
If desired, enter a new name for Name.
If desired, enter a value for Import scale.
Click OK twice.

kginty81
2008-09-30, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys. I am sure I will be here alot more now.

rjcrowther
2008-10-01, 12:12 PM
From the help file.

Click Settings menuFill Patterns.
In the Fill Patterns dialog, under Pattern Type, select Drafting or Model.
Click New.
If you are creating a drafting fill pattern, select how to orient the fill pattern in the host layers. See Fill Pattern Host Orientation for details.
In the New Pattern dialog, select Custom.
Click Import.
Select the desired pattern file (PAT), and click Open. See Custom Pattern Files for information on creating a custom pattern (PAT) file.
NoteDefault Revit Architecture fill patterns are stored in the revit.pat and revit metric.pat files in the Revit Architecture program group Data directory. The revit metric.pat file contains various metric masonry and iso patterns.
Click the menu next to Import to view the list of available patterns. Select a pattern from the list.
If desired, enter a new name for Name.
If desired, enter a value for Import scale.
Click OK twice.

JeffH, stop gloating over the great job you have done with the manuals!!

Anyway, something I did a month or so ago. If you go to RevitCity and use their patterns, you can make them model or drafting regadless of how they are set up.

You turn the .pat file in to a .txt file so notepad can read it. You then change the 'model' to 'drafting' or vice-versa. If you read the relevant bit in the manual (JeffH again) it will give you the required background information.

jeffh
2008-10-01, 01:24 PM
JeffH, stop gloating over the great job you have done with the manuals!!

Just faster to cut and paste when I know exactly where the information is I guess. ;)

kginty81
2008-10-01, 02:15 PM
Am I able to change the line type of the fill pattern somewhere?

jeffh
2008-10-01, 03:21 PM
Am I able to change the line type of the fill pattern somewhere?

You would have to modify the PAT file in a text editor to get the look/pattern you need.

cdatechguy
2008-10-01, 05:29 PM
And you can combine hatches as well.....say you want a 24" square ceiling tile but you want to add a concrete fill...just add it after the ceiling info...just modify the import scale accordingly if you want to change the concrete scale.

rjcrowther
2008-10-02, 12:38 AM
And you can combine hatches as well.....say you want a 24" square ceiling tile but you want to add a concrete fill...just add it after the ceiling info...just modify the import scale accordingly if you want to change the concrete scale.

Never thought of that...brilliant.